Economic losses exceed $9.3 billion as UAW strike continues
The UAW's historic strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is in its sixth week, and economic losses have surpassed $9.3 million, according to Anderson Economic Group, LLC.
Watch CBS News
The UAW's historic strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is in its sixth week, and economic losses have surpassed $9.3 million, according to Anderson Economic Group, LLC.
An additional 67 employees at the Sterling Axle Plant have been laid off due to the ongoing UAW strike against Detroit's automakers.
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain said the union has received offers from two of Detroit's three major automakers in the last 24 hours, but there's still more work needing to be done with all three companies.
Stellantis announced that it has pulled out of the LA Auto Show as the union continues to strike against the Detroit automakers.
As the UAW strike against the Big Three continues, Ford Motor Company announced 150 more layoffs at its Sterling Axle Plant.
Ford Motor Company announced that 106 more employees at the Sterling Axle Plant have been laid off due to the UAW's historic strike against the Big Three automakers.
As the historic UAW strike against the Detroit automakers has entered its fifth week, economic losses from the strike have reached $7.7 billion, according to the Anderson Economic Group LLC.
In order to apply continuous pressure on Ford, GM, and Stellantis, UAW leadership says strike expansions could now happen at any time with little notice.
As the UAW strike against the Detroit automakers continues, Stellantis has announced temporary layoffs for 700 additional employees.
No new strikes were announced today, but UAW President Shawn Fain said the union has entered a new phase and will no longer wait until Friday to announce strike expansions.
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain is set to give a bargaining update with Detroit's Big Three automakers at 10 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 13.
General Motors shared details of its latest offer to the UAW as the automaker continues to negotiate amid the union's historic strike against the Big Three.
As the UAW continues its historic strike against the Detroit automakers, the majority of Americans support the strike, according to a new poll.
Authorities have identified a 19-year-old Flint man as the suspect in connection to striking five UAW workers with a vehicle at a General Motors facility Tuesday.
UAW President Shawn Fain released a video update on Thursday addressing violence toward autoworkers on the picket line as the union strikes against the Big Three.
UAW President Shawn Fain is expected to announce the next steps regarding the 2023 UAW strike against the Big Three, which could mean announcing additional strike targets.
As the historic strike against the Detroit automakers is in its 14th day, Fain continues to bargain with the Big Three to ensure the union's demands are met. A key factor in those demands is a pay increase.
UAW President Shawn Fain expanded the strike to all General Motors and Stellantis parts distribution centers Friday but said significant progress has been made with Ford. Here's what Ford has offered so far amid UAW contract negotiations.
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain says more plants will be called to strike if "serious progress" isn't made with Detroit's big three automakers by noon, Sept. 22.
Fain, an electrician who comes from a line of autoworkers, was elected to lead the UAW just six months ago.
A 31-year-old Davison Township man has been charged with two felonies after allegedly sending threatening text messages to UAW President Shawn Fain, authorities said.
Fain said there will be a mass rally at 4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 15, at the UAW-Ford Joint Trusts Center.
The UAW announced that members can now sign up to receive payments electronically if union members strike against the three Detroit automakers this week.
Time is running short to avoid a strike at America's three unionized automakers, and the distance between the United Auto Workers union and the companies remains large.
Shawn Fain is one of the most important people in the US economy today. A year ago, almost no one knew who he was.
Fifty pounds of crystal methamphetamine have been seized and a 31-year-old man is in custody in connection with a narcotics investigation, according to the Michigan State Police.
Officials at the highest levels of the Iranian government say they don't know where Mojtaba Khamenei is and have no way to contact him directly, relying instead on a network of couriers.
A bipartisan bill that would allow school boards across Michigan to award high school diplomas to some "Rosie the Riveters" has been introduced in the state Senate.
Colton Cowser hit a three-run homer off Kenley Jansen with two outs in the ninth inning, and the Baltimore Orioles beat Detroit 5-3 in a day-night doubleheader opener Sunday that extended the Tigers' losing streak to eight.
A CVS store on the east side of Detroit is cleaning up after a vehicle crashed into it early Sunday.
A male teenager is in the hospital after he was shot while driving on Detroit's north side Saturday evening.
There is broad commitment on the principles of a deal, a senior Trump administration official said, and the administration feels positive about where things stand.
A CVS store on the east side of Detroit is cleaning up after a vehicle crashed into it early Sunday.
Fifty pounds of crystal methamphetamine have been seized and a 31-year-old man is in custody in connection with a narcotics investigation, according to the Michigan State Police.
At least three people are injured after separate weekend shootings across Detroit as of Saturday night.
Stellantis unveiled a nearly $70 million five-year strategic plan with the launch of new vehicles — including hybrids and EVs — over the next five years.
From classic cruisers to new memories still being made, the Woodward Dream Cruise remains a celebration of Michigan's automotive culture.
If you are planning a road trip for Memorial Day weekend, remember that the cost of gas this year is noticeably higher than last year.
Michigan is demanding repayment of $35 million from the American Center for Mobility, a key player in autonomous vehicle development.
A bipartisan bill introduced in Washington, D.C., by Michigan Congresswoman Debbie Dingell and Congressman John Moolenaar would prohibit the importation, manufacture or sale of Chinese cars in the United States.
Stephen Colbert made a surprise appearance hosting the "Only in Monroe" community access show broadcast in Monroe, Michigan, on Friday, one night after he recorded his final episode of "The Late Show."
Rob Base, the MC whose lyrics lit up the dancefloor classic "It Takes Two" and got countless people moving worldwide, passed away Friday.
After nearly a century on the air, CBS News Radio signed off, with the final reports airing on Friday, May 22.
Stephen Colbert hosted "The Late Show" for the final time Thursday night as the franchise came to an end after 33 years.
The Michigan woman who inspired the name of the rock band Greta Van Fleet has died.
A bystander was also wounded, but no Secret Service officers were injured, officials said. President Trump was in the White House at the time of the incident.
Kyle Busch, who won more races in NASCAR's top three series than anyone in history, died suddenly on Thursday.
U.S. officials and negotiators were discussing a process to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, sources briefed on the conversations said.
Tulsi Gabbard is resigning as the director of national intelligence after her husband was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer.
Landing a good-paying job may not be enough to buy a home. A new study finds family wealth plays an outsized role in who becomes a homeowner.
Two Detroit nonprofit organizations have partnered together to fight food insecurity for elementary school students.
St. Clair County health officials have identified the county's first salmonella case linked to a multistate outbreak associated with backyard poultry.
Experts at Children's Hospital of Michigan say they typically see a rise in preventable injuries this time of year, many of which can happen in just seconds.
The app helps people with allergies navigate menus and get information about kitchen practices, so they know what's safe to eat.
A bill that would ban anyone under age 16 from viewing, using or accessing social media in Michigan was introduced in the state legislature.
Colton Cowser hit a three-run homer off Kenley Jansen with two outs in the ninth inning, and the Baltimore Orioles beat Detroit 5-3 in a day-night doubleheader opener Sunday that extended the Tigers' losing streak to eight.
The Detroit Tigers and Baltimore Orioles will play a split doubleheader on Sunday after their game on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather.
Kyle Busch, who won more races in NASCAR's top three series than anyone in history, died suddenly on Thursday.
Detroit Tigers ace Tarik Skubal threw his third bullpen session since his rehab program from elbow surgery began.
The Detroit Lions have signed All-Pro linebacker Jack Campbell to a four-year contract extension that runs through the 2030 season.
It's the fourth year the Detroit Grand Prix has been on the streets of the Motor City after moving from Belle Isle.
This week on Michigan Matters, the roundtable talks about the governor's race and the impact of former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan.
The roundtable discusses the impact of rising gas prices and friction at the federal level with Canada and the U.S., and how it affects tourism.
Life Directions has been helping guide and mentor young people in Detroit.
Robert Costa, the award-winning national correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning and chief Washington analyst for CBS News, talks about Michigan's role in this critical midterm election.
Roads are expected to be closed across downtown Detroit ahead of the Grand Prix, which takes place May 29 to May 31.
A cleaning crew at a CVS store on Detroit’s east side was clearing debris on Sunday after a vehicle crashed into it. The establishment’s manager said three people were after an ATM in the area after the collision, but were unsuccessful because it was buried under the wreckage.
Some storms possible
A 17-year-old boy has been arraigned in a shooting that injured another teenager in downtown Detroit, court records show, officials are investigating after a driver nearly hit a student getting off a bus in Augusta Township and other top stories for the evening of May 23, 2026.
Two Detroit nonprofits have partnered together to fight food insecurity for elementary school students. Veronica Ortega shares their story.