Michigan directs SNAP vendor to resume full payments for November
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is directing its Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) vendor to issue full payments for November.
Watch CBS News
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is directing its Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) vendor to issue full payments for November.
The USDA allocation that could put full payments into action, rather than a partial payment, remains mired in court.
The federal government shutdown impacts now include flight cancelations as an FAA order to cut back flights begins. In the meantime, court battles ramp up over the status of SNAP food stamp benefits. CBS News has this report.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says it will distribute partial SNAP benefits to recipients starting Saturday.
Michigan will start providing November's SNAP benefits on Saturday, catching up for those who normally see a food stamp benefit added to their Michigan Bridge Card by now. But the food stamp allocations will be only partial amounts for now, state officials say.
SNAP food assistance, which in Michigan is issued via the EBT Bridge Card, is facing delays given a halt in federal funding. Agencies such as the United Way for Southeastern Michigan are focused on finding ways to help provide groceries to fill the gap. Here's a look.
"Now we'll have to prioritize which bills we can pay and which can wait," said one mother of two about a looming freeze in food aid.
With food-stamp funding set to lapse Saturday, recipients are asking what happens to their benefits — and when help might resume.
The Michigan Senate supports creating a backup fund for SNAP food assistance in the state, but the House has yet to vote.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has announced state funding allocation to Food Bank Council of Michigan, while the legislature works on a plan to temporarily fund SNAP benefits for state residents.
State officials will direct $4.5 million to Food Bank Council of Michigan to help fill in the gaps as SNAP funding runs out.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is leading a coalition of governors in an appeal to the White House to fund the SNAP food assistance program.
Michigan's Double Up Food Bucks program has temporarily expanded the options for SNAP recipients to double their purchase value for produce.
The federal government shutdown has entered Day 30, with dwindling funds for food assistance from SNAP among the closely watched details.
Over 29,000 civilian federal workers live in Michigan, many of them in Metro Detroit, the Congressional Research Service says.
Michigan's Double Up Food Bucks program extends the purchase power for food stamp recipients at participating retailers.
About 42 million Americans could be losing critical food assistance in just two weeks. Last week, the agriculture secretary announced the SNAP program, formerly known as food stamps, will run out of money soon because of the government shutdown. It's not clear whether the Trump administration will step in to find the money to continue paying benefits as it had with other priorities. More than a dozen states have paused accepting new food stamp applications as a result of the funding unknowns. Michigan is still accepting applications at this time.
The federal government shutdown began October 1, with the impacts becoming more serious by the day. CBS News has this report.
The SNAP (food stamps) and WIC (Women Infants Children) food programs are federally-funded. CBS News takes a look at what those programs provide for families, and how long they might continue amid the federal government shutdown.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP or food stamps, is the largest anti-hunger program in the country. But it will soon face some of the largest budget cuts in its history as a result of the passage of President Trump's One Big Beautiful Bill Act.
Michigan is among the states that sued the federal government over a pending rule that seeks extensive access to the records of SNAP recipients.
Double Up Food Bucks allows Michigan Bridge Card holders to receive twice the value in fruits and vegetables at participating locations.
Older, wealthier Americans would see the biggest lifetime benefit from the Republican budget bill, while younger generations could see losses, a new analysis says.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer claims the federal budget plan currently moving through Congress will cost Michiganders $900 million in benefit cuts.
Summer EBT, which provides additional grocery funds on behalf of children age 6-18, is available for summer 2025.
A man who spent nearly 21 years in prison for the deaths of two Michigan hunters has agreed to a $5.25 million settlement.
Survivors say they'd asked for more medical support before the Iranian drone strike that killed six U.S. soldiers at their command post in Kuwait in the war's first 24 hours.
The National Weather Service has issued a slight risk forecast for severe weather on Tuesday in an area that includes Metro Detroit.
President Trump says he scrapped a planned attack on Iran at the request of Gulf allies, as "serious negotiations" on a peace deal are underway.
Two people escaped, but a third person has died, as a result of a house fire in Canton, Michigan.
The National Weather Service has issued a slight risk forecast for severe weather on Tuesday in an area that includes Metro Detroit.
Monday's severe weather caused damage across Metro Detroit, and resulted in some school closings for Tuesday in Macomb County.
Two people escaped, but a third person has died, as a result of a house fire in Canton, Michigan.
Frustrations boiled over at Monday night's school board meeting in Pontiac as a consolidation plan to eventually close Owen, Kennedy, and Alcott elementary schools in the next few years passed.
A man who spent nearly 21 years in prison for the deaths of two Michigan hunters has agreed to a $5.25 million settlement.
From classic cruisers to new memories still being made, the Woodward Dream Cruise remains a celebration of Michigan's automotive culture.
If you are planning a road trip for Memorial Day weekend, remember that the cost of gas this year is noticeably higher than last year.
Michigan is demanding repayment of $35 million from the American Center for Mobility, a key player in autonomous vehicle development.
A bipartisan bill introduced in Washington, D.C., by Michigan Congresswoman Debbie Dingell and Congressman John Moolenaar would prohibit the importation, manufacture or sale of Chinese cars in the United States.
Michigan's average diesel price on Sunday is $6 — the highest ever recorded by the American Automobile Association.
The three commemorative posters are designed by a featured artist representing one of the three distinct art fairs that come together as one.
The Library of Congress revealed this year's list of 25 recordings to be preserved for future generations on the National Recording Registry.
With summer not far behind, the city of Detroit is preparing for the highly anticipated 2026 Ford Fireworks next month.
Motown may be Detroit's most famous sound, but it's far from the only one.
Gene Simmons visited Detroit Rock City to celebrate the grand opening of a restaurant co-founded by him and his Kiss bandmate Paul Stanley.
José Ramírez homered and hit a two-run double on a 3-for-4 night, and the Cleveland Guardians beat the reeling Detroit Tigers 8-2.
Within hours after an attack on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, Temple Israel in West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, is calling for funding to protect houses of worship after experiencing a similar incident.
Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, and two suspected shooters were found dead inside a vehicle nearby, police said.
California jury dismissed all charges, finding that Musk missed the three-year statute of limitations to file suit.
The Trump administration announced it's restricting people who don't have U.S. passports from entering the country if they have been in Congo, South Sudan or Uganda amid the Ebola outbreak.
Officials say 21 cases were reported in the state, with 29% of those cases among children.
Michigan has $176 million in opioid settlement funds sitting unused in local government accounts.
Two Michigan health systems and Detroit Public Schools are getting $86.4 million in grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for costs that were needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency said.
At least 80 deaths have been reported in a new Ebola disease outbreak in Congo and Uganda, authorities said.
Teen tobacco use in Michigan is rising again, prompting calls for increased prevention spending.
José Ramírez homered and hit a two-run double on a 3-for-4 night, and the Cleveland Guardians beat the reeling Detroit Tigers 8-2.
Sunday's win at Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, is only his second PGA tour victory, after winning the 2024 Wyndham Championship.
The Detroit Tigers were defeated by the Blue Jays 4-1 on Sunday after Toronto's Vladimir Guerrero Jr. homered and scored twice, and Kevin Gausman pitched six shutout innings.
A Michigan community college student will be the first female welder to represent the United States at a worldwide competition described as the Olympics of the skilled trades.
The Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers will square off for Game 7 of their playoff series on Sunday night with a trip to the Eastern Conference finals on the line.
This week on Michigan Matters, the roundtable talks about the governor's race and the impact of former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan.
The roundtable discusses the impact of rising gas prices and friction at the federal level with Canada and the U.S., and how it affects tourism.
Life Directions has been helping guide and mentor young people in Detroit.
Robert Costa, the award-winning national correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning and chief Washington analyst for CBS News, talks about Michigan's role in this critical midterm election.
Diallo Smith, CEO of Detroit nonprofit Life Remodeled, talks about its new opportunity hub on the east side of Detroit called Anchor Detroit.
President Trump said he had called off plans to launch new attacks on Iran on Tuesday at the request of Persian Gulf allies, citing "serious negotiations" toward a peace deal to end the 81-day war. Bradley Blackburn reports.
Powerful winds brought down part of the roof and walls at an early childhood education center in Barry County, Michigan, on May 18.
One man is dead in a house fire early Tuesday in Canton, Michigan. Canton police and fire were called about 1 a.m. to the 43000 block of Lancelot Drive on a report of a home that was fully engulfed in flames, the police department said.
Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday. CBS News has this report.
Police are investigating an incident during which multiple homes, sheds and a playround at Sterling Estates was vandalized with vulgar graffiti. Security video was captured of three suspects wearing masks in the area about the time of the vandalism.