Michigan directs SNAP vendor to resume full payments for November
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is directing its Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) vendor to issue full payments for November.
Watch CBS News
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is directing its Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) vendor to issue full payments for November.
The USDA allocation that could put full payments into action, rather than a partial payment, remains mired in court.
The federal government shutdown impacts now include flight cancelations as an FAA order to cut back flights begins. In the meantime, court battles ramp up over the status of SNAP food stamp benefits. CBS News has this report.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says it will distribute partial SNAP benefits to recipients starting Saturday.
Michigan will start providing November's SNAP benefits on Saturday, catching up for those who normally see a food stamp benefit added to their Michigan Bridge Card by now. But the food stamp allocations will be only partial amounts for now, state officials say.
SNAP food assistance, which in Michigan is issued via the EBT Bridge Card, is facing delays given a halt in federal funding. Agencies such as the United Way for Southeastern Michigan are focused on finding ways to help provide groceries to fill the gap. Here's a look.
"Now we'll have to prioritize which bills we can pay and which can wait," said one mother of two about a looming freeze in food aid.
With food-stamp funding set to lapse Saturday, recipients are asking what happens to their benefits — and when help might resume.
The Michigan Senate supports creating a backup fund for SNAP food assistance in the state, but the House has yet to vote.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has announced state funding allocation to Food Bank Council of Michigan, while the legislature works on a plan to temporarily fund SNAP benefits for state residents.
State officials will direct $4.5 million to Food Bank Council of Michigan to help fill in the gaps as SNAP funding runs out.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is leading a coalition of governors in an appeal to the White House to fund the SNAP food assistance program.
Michigan's Double Up Food Bucks program has temporarily expanded the options for SNAP recipients to double their purchase value for produce.
The federal government shutdown has entered Day 30, with dwindling funds for food assistance from SNAP among the closely watched details.
Over 29,000 civilian federal workers live in Michigan, many of them in Metro Detroit, the Congressional Research Service says.
Michigan's Double Up Food Bucks program extends the purchase power for food stamp recipients at participating retailers.
About 42 million Americans could be losing critical food assistance in just two weeks. Last week, the agriculture secretary announced the SNAP program, formerly known as food stamps, will run out of money soon because of the government shutdown. It's not clear whether the Trump administration will step in to find the money to continue paying benefits as it had with other priorities. More than a dozen states have paused accepting new food stamp applications as a result of the funding unknowns. Michigan is still accepting applications at this time.
The federal government shutdown began October 1, with the impacts becoming more serious by the day. CBS News has this report.
The SNAP (food stamps) and WIC (Women Infants Children) food programs are federally-funded. CBS News takes a look at what those programs provide for families, and how long they might continue amid the federal government shutdown.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP or food stamps, is the largest anti-hunger program in the country. But it will soon face some of the largest budget cuts in its history as a result of the passage of President Trump's One Big Beautiful Bill Act.
Michigan is among the states that sued the federal government over a pending rule that seeks extensive access to the records of SNAP recipients.
Double Up Food Bucks allows Michigan Bridge Card holders to receive twice the value in fruits and vegetables at participating locations.
Older, wealthier Americans would see the biggest lifetime benefit from the Republican budget bill, while younger generations could see losses, a new analysis says.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer claims the federal budget plan currently moving through Congress will cost Michiganders $900 million in benefit cuts.
Summer EBT, which provides additional grocery funds on behalf of children age 6-18, is available for summer 2025.
Religious leaders say they stand in solidarity with all communities targeted by hate.
DWSD says improvements are part of a broader effort to reduce flooding and basement backups across the city.
Police say the 24-year-old suspect admitted to driving the vehicle at the time of the crash.
Detroit police say a man and woman were killed in a double shooting that appeared to be targeted on Wednesday afternoon.
City council unanimously passed a resolution urging UM to reconsider purchasing the land.
Detroit police say a man and woman were killed in a double shooting that appeared to be targeted on Wednesday afternoon.
Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens says Canada should delay the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge rather than accept unfavorable terms pushed by President Trump.
Police identified the victim as 65-year-old Richard Alan Harris of Farmington Hills.
About seven acres in Southeast Michigan, known as the unincorporated community of Hell, has been listed for sale.
Religious leaders say they stand in solidarity with all communities targeted by hate.
From classic cruisers to new memories still being made, the Woodward Dream Cruise remains a celebration of Michigan's automotive culture.
If you are planning a road trip for Memorial Day weekend, remember that the cost of gas this year is noticeably higher than last year.
Michigan is demanding repayment of $35 million from the American Center for Mobility, a key player in autonomous vehicle development.
A bipartisan bill introduced in Washington, D.C., by Michigan Congresswoman Debbie Dingell and Congressman John Moolenaar would prohibit the importation, manufacture or sale of Chinese cars in the United States.
Michigan's average diesel price on Sunday is $6 — the highest ever recorded by the American Automobile Association.
The three commemorative posters are designed by a featured artist representing one of the three distinct art fairs that come together as one.
The Library of Congress revealed this year's list of 25 recordings to be preserved for future generations on the National Recording Registry.
With summer not far behind, the city of Detroit is preparing for the highly anticipated 2026 Ford Fireworks next month.
Motown may be Detroit's most famous sound, but it's far from the only one.
Gene Simmons visited Detroit Rock City to celebrate the grand opening of a restaurant co-founded by him and his Kiss bandmate Paul Stanley.
The $1.776 billion fund, which is part of the agreement to settle Trump's lawsuit against the IRS and Treasury Dept., is to be used to compensate those who claim that the government weaponized the legal system against them.
Michigan State University's board approved a new ethics policy 5-3 that lays out consequences for trustees who do not comply, with at least one trustee refusing to sign it and calling it a potential tool for retaliation.
The Supreme Court's term is set to end around the end of June, with decisions on birthright citizenship, transgender athlete bans and gun rights still to come.
Two House members from opposite parties introduced legislation that would revoke federal retirement benefits from current or former members of Congress convicted of sexual assault, trafficking, or exploitation of minors — and redirect those funds to victims.
Buyers can still find lower-cost homes in some midsize cities, especially across the Rust Belt and Sun Belt, a new analysis finds.
Officials say 21 cases were reported in the state, with 29% of those cases among children.
Michigan has $176 million in opioid settlement funds sitting unused in local government accounts.
Two Michigan health systems and Detroit Public Schools are getting $86.4 million in grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for costs that were needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency said.
At least 80 deaths have been reported in a new Ebola disease outbreak in Congo and Uganda, authorities said.
Teen tobacco use in Michigan is rising again, prompting calls for increased prevention spending.
Eastern Michigan University's Esports program is bringing back its summer camps for students, which run through August.
Tarik Skubal's multi-million dollar pitching arm feels better than it has all season.
José Ramírez homered and hit a two-run double on a 3-for-4 night, and the Cleveland Guardians beat the reeling Detroit Tigers 8-2.
Sunday's win at Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, is only his second PGA tour victory, after winning the 2024 Wyndham Championship.
The Detroit Tigers were defeated by the Blue Jays 4-1 on Sunday after Toronto's Vladimir Guerrero Jr. homered and scored twice, and Kevin Gausman pitched six shutout innings.
This week on Michigan Matters, the roundtable talks about the governor's race and the impact of former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan.
The roundtable discusses the impact of rising gas prices and friction at the federal level with Canada and the U.S., and how it affects tourism.
Life Directions has been helping guide and mentor young people in Detroit.
Robert Costa, the award-winning national correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning and chief Washington analyst for CBS News, talks about Michigan's role in this critical midterm election.
Diallo Smith, CEO of Detroit nonprofit Life Remodeled, talks about its new opportunity hub on the east side of Detroit called Anchor Detroit.
It's been two days since the deadly attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego that left three people dead.
Temperatures head back down to a chilly mark tonight with warmer air on the way to wrap up the week.
After strong storms moved through Metro Detroit this week and with summer storm season now underway, many Detroiters are asking a familiar question: Is the city actually better prepared than it was during previous flooding events?
Detroit police say a man and a woman were shot to death in two separate vehicles on the city's east side Wednesday afternoon. Police say a child was in one of the vehicles and survived the shooting.
Ann Arbor leaders are pushing back on the University of Michigan's agreement to purchase a large portion of the Concordia University Ann Arbor campus.