Kristin Smart's killer appeals sentence, claims unfair trial
The man convicted of killing Stockton native Kristin Smart is appealing his sentence. His legal team is arguing that he did not have a fair trial due to errors during the proceedings.
Watch CBS News
The man convicted of killing Stockton native Kristin Smart is appealing his sentence. His legal team is arguing that he did not have a fair trial due to errors during the proceedings.
A California judge has ruled that a man convicted of killing 19-year-old college student Kristin Smart in 1996 must pay just over $350,000 to her family for costs they incurred after her death.
It marks the second time in the past nine months that Flores has been attacked while in prison.
The family of murder victim Kristin Smart has filed a lawsuit against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
The lawsuit lists three complaints against the school: negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, and wrongful death.
An attempted murder charge has been filed against the man suspected of slashing Paul Flores' neck at the Pleasant Valley State Prison in Coalinga earlier this year, according to the Fresno County District Attorney's Office.
Paul Flores, the man convicted of killing Stockton teen Kristin Smart in 1996, is listed in fair condition, CDCR says.
Paul Flores, the man convicted of killing Stockton teen Kristen Smart in 1996, is listed in fair condition, CDCR says. Last month, Flores was attacked in prison and taken to the hospital in serious condition. After being treated, he was taken back to Pleasant Valley State Prison, where he's serving a 25 years-to-life sentence for killing fellow Cal Poly student Kristin Smart in 1996. Her body has never been found.
Paul Flores, the man convicted of killing Stockton teen Kristen Smart in 1996, is listed in fair condition, CDCR says. Last month, Flores, was attacked while in prison and taken to the hospital in serious condition. After spending a couple of days there, he was taken back to Pleasant Valley State Prison, where he's serving a 25 years-to-life sentence.
Paul Flores, the man convicted of killing Stockton teen Kristin Smart in 1996 while they were both students at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, was hospitalized after an attack in prison, his attorney confirmed Wednesday.
There is a new effort to locate the body of Kristin Smart, the Stockton native and Cal Poly student who went missing in 1996. Now, a group of engineers is seeking to locate the remains using science.
For the first time, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo has publicly apologized to the family of Kristin Smart for how it first handled the investigation into her disappearance.
The jurors broke their silence with the San Luis Obispo Tribune on Thursday.
Paul Flores, the former Cal Poly classmate of Stockton native Kristin Smart, was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison for her death. After nearly two hours of victim impact statements from Smart's family, Monterey County Superior Court Judge Jennifer O'Keefe told Flores he deserves to spend "every day he has left" behind bars. Due to California law, Flores would be eligible for parole in 15 years.
After a long and winding road, the Kristin Smart murder trial is finally coming to a close.
After a long and winding road, the Kristin Smart murder trial is finally coming to a close. Paul Flores is facing 25 years to life in prison or life without parole. His sentencing will come Friday.
The attorney for Paul Flores has filed for a new trial in the 1996 disappearance and murder of Stockton native Kristin Smart.
The convicted killer's sentencing will be set until next March -- giving his attorney enough time to review court records and prepare to file a motion for a new trial. He was found guilty in the 1996 death of Kristin Smart.
The guilty verdict in the Kristin Smart murder case is finally giving the Smart family a sense of justice, although the painful wait to locate her body continues.
The guilty verdict in the Kristin Smart murder case is finally giving the Smart family a sense of justice, although the painful wait to locate her body continues. No one knows that pain better than the family of Christie Wilson, whose body was not discovered for 15 years after she was murdered in Placer County.
See the major events in the timeline spanning from when Smart was reported missing to the guilty verdict handed to Paul Flores and a not-guilty verdict for his father, Ruben Flores.
The family of Kristin Smart, who disappeared 26 years ago and has never been found, finally found justice after her convicted killer, Paul Flores, was convicted of murder. Paul will be sentenced in December.
During Tuesday's press conference about the Flores murder verdict, Kristin Smart's father thanked podcaster Chris Lambert for helping solve the case. Lambert grew up near where Kristin vanished and started looking into what happened the night of May 24, 1996.
Ruben Flores was asked how he felt knowing his son was found guilty. He said: "It's hard for me to describe it. All that stuff they say is evidence -- you look through it, and there is no evidence against anybody -- me or Paul," "Too much made-up stuff. That's all I can say."
The Paul Flores jury made their announcement first in court on Tuesday. Smart's former Cal Poly classmate was found guilty of first-degree murder. The deputy DA, who prosecuted the case, spoke about the trial.
Athletics shortstop Jacob Wilson was placed on the 10-day injured list because of a dislocated left shoulder.
The program, funded by the community walking and biking safety group JIBE, claims it can make a bike as good as new.
One person was killed and another was seriously injured in a three-vehicle crash along Elkhorn Boulevard in Sacramento County on Friday, officials said.
An evacuation order has been issued for part of Murphys in Calaveras County as firefighters battle the Ross Fire, officials said Friday.
The evacuation order and warning were lifted for the Clover Fire in the Alta Sierra area in Nevada County on Friday afternoon.
The evacuation order and warning were lifted for the Clover Fire in the Alta Sierra area in Nevada County on Friday afternoon.
An evacuation order has been issued for part of Murphys in Calaveras County as firefighters battle the Ross Fire, officials said Friday.
Athletics shortstop Jacob Wilson was placed on the 10-day injured list because of a dislocated left shoulder.
A loaded gun was found on Sem Yeto High School's campus on Friday, months after a deadly shooting at the school's graduation ceremony, police said.
The agency issued multiple citations and penalties to a backcountry guide company involved in California's deadliest avalanche earlier this year near Lake Tahoe.
The program, funded by the community walking and biking safety group JIBE, claims it can make a bike as good as new.
A former president of Telemundo 33 in Sacramento was among seven people killed Wednesday when a helicopter crashed in a remote area of northern Kenya, the news station confirmed.
College researchers studying public health say they found prohibited intoxicating products being sold at more than half of the Sacramento smoke shops they surveyed this summer.
For 24 years, John Castro has been teaching students at Earl Warren Elementary School in Sacramento. Along the way, he has made an impact that extends far beyond the classroom.
A person wearing a ski mask was found shot in northeast Sacramento on Monday morning under mysterious circumstances, authorities said.
The agency issued multiple citations and penalties to a backcountry guide company involved in California's deadliest avalanche earlier this year near Lake Tahoe.
For California's craft distilleries, the ability to ship directly to customers has become an important way to reach consumers beyond their tasting rooms and local restaurants.
State Sen. Aisha Wahab holds a narrow lead over BART director Melissa Hernandez in the race to replace former Rep. Eric Swalwell in California's 14th Congressional District.
California lawmakers are weighing whether to take action after videos surfaced showing an electric-shock glove that may soon be used as part of federal immigration enforcement.
There is a new effort to increase the minimum wage and training requirements for security guards in California ahead of the 2028 Olympics.
Athletics shortstop Jacob Wilson was placed on the 10-day injured list because of a dislocated left shoulder.
The Athletics' stadium on the Las Vegas Strip is taking shape with the addition of a second steel truss arch.
Jacob Cowing returned a punt for an 83-yard touchdown, Eddy Pineiro kicked a pair of field goals and the San Francisco 49ers beat the Los Angeles Chargers 41-17 on Thursday night in a preseason game.
The San Francisco 49ers will have a few more starters making their preseason debut in a matchup with the Los Angeles Chargers on Thursday at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California.
John Rave hit a tiebreaking, bases-clearing double during a seven-run eighth inning, and the Kansas City Royals rallied past the Athletics 9-7.
Chief Justice John Roberts issued a stay that will remain in place until the Supreme Court takes further action.
The aircraft carrier and its 5,000 crew members will return to San Diego after an approximately nine-month deployment.
The partial term for California's 14th Congressional District ends January 2027, after which the candidate chosen in the November election will serve the next full term.
FBI agents executed search warrants targeting former Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell and seized his electronic devices, two sources told CBS News.
California voters will decide in November whether to approve a proposed $11 billion bond aimed at addressing the state's affordable housing and homelessness crises.
Moderna and Merck announced study results that reflect a "landmark moment" in treatment for one of the deadliest forms of skin cancer.
Multiple unpermitted street food vendors in Fairfield were cited for violations last week after inspections found them selling food unsafe for public consumption, authorities said.
The Social Security Administration is expanding its list of diseases and other health conditions that may qualify for accelerated approval of disability benefits.
In a wide-ranging interview with the CBS News partner BBC News, Hunter Biden grew emotional as he discussed his father's condition, describing it as very sad to watch.
Two Michigan residents who had "significant underlying health conditions" have died after contracting cyclosporiasis, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services said.
During the program's first year, it will be offered at about 65 to 75 hospitals that handle about a quarter of births in the state and largely serve low-income patients, Newsom's office said.
Fresh off their undefeated season and conference championship win, the women on the team are speaking out for the first time.
Finding the perfect dress isn't easy, but now, selling them could become a lot more challenging.
This weekend, Placer County is hosting its annual Sip Into Spring event, offering free or discounted tastings at more than 20 wineries along what's known as the Placer Wine Trail.
From fruits and veggies to car parts, economists project that businesses will pass along the cost of the tariffs to customers.
President Trump and Gov. Gavin Newsom have made several different claims about California gas prices. Here's what we found.
This year-long investigation provides an unprecedented look at California's one-party supermajority legislature through the eyes of grieving parents who discover how California lawmakers kill popular bills by not voting.
This year-long investigation by CBS News California investigative correspondent Julie Watts examines the many components of California's new tougher-on-crime law.
A Natomas mother demanded that her daughter be exhumed and cremated after a Sacramento cemetery moved her grave without telling the family.
The California Highway Patrol captain accused of workers' compensation fraud was the commander in charge of the fatal Mahaney Park shootout in Roseville, three officers who worked under him at the time of the shootout said.
CBS13 and the Call Kurtis consumer investigative team devised an idea on how to lower what consumers owe on their credit cards -- and it begins with a simple phone call.
No one wants to think about death. However, it's important to plan on what happens to your digital assets after you die.
After spending $18,000 on waterproof laminate floors, a Natomas couple spotted damage after the first cleaning.
More than a year after Hai Pham canceled the trial membership, he kept getting charged every month for it.
A Natomas mother demanded that her daughter be exhumed and cremated after a Sacramento cemetery moved her grave without telling the family.
An evacuation order has been issued for part of Murphys in Calaveras County as firefighters battle the Ross Fire, officials said Friday.
The evacuation order and warning were lifted for the Clover Fire in the Alta Sierra area in Nevada County on Friday afternoon.
Evacuation orders have been lifted for a wildfire that ignited east of Mountain Ranch in Calaveras County on Thursday, officials said.
An evacuation warning for a wildfire burning in the Tahoe National Forest was lifted as containment increased to 55%.
A fire in the area of Yuba Ridge Drive near Nevada City forced an evacuation order and warnings.
Their message is simple: keep showing up, keep moving and keep your heart open, because sometimes, the person who changes your life is living right across the street.
A Sacramento County dog picked up thousands of miles from home after he went missing five years ago was reunited with his family on Wednesday.
What started as a suspicious circumstances call for Rancho Cordova police ended with a newborn surprise.
A once-empty lot behind Church of the Cross in north Modesto now hosts a thriving community garden with more than 140 plots and growers from across the globe.
A Sacramento-area middle school history and English teacher is in the running to win big as America's Favorite Teacher, a title her students think she is more than worthy of being awarded.
The evacuation order and warning were lifted for the Clover Fire in the Alta Sierra area in Nevada County on Friday afternoon.
Here's a look at the weather forecast Friday evening.
The man accused of stabbing multiple people at Thunder Valley Casino earlier this week made his first court appearance.
Melissa May reports.
A loaded gun was found on Sem Yeto High School's campus on Friday, months after a deadly shooting at the school's graduation ceremony, police said.