As we come to the end of 2014, Charles Osgood offers us some of the stories we'll remember...
January brought the first death in anti-Russian protests in Ukraine. Those protests ultimately led to the Russian invasion of Crimea - and what some are calling a new cold war with the United States.
- Gallery: Ukraine protests grow more violent
- President Putin signs treaty to annex Crimea (03/18/14)
- Complete CBSNews.com coverage: Ukraine in turmoil
In February, 15,000,000 viewers watched Jay Leno end 22 years as host of "The Tonight Show."
- Jay Leno on leaving "The Tonight Show" ("60 Minutes," 01/26/14)
We'll remember March as the month that saw the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 with 239 people traveling from Kuala Lampur to Beijing.
- From takeoff to final satellite signal - a timeline of Flight 370 ("CBS Evening News," 03/19/14)
- Missing Malaysia flight: What we know about the 239 on board (03/18/14)
- Experts on what may have happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ("Face the Nation," 03/16/14)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappearance still a mystery after six months ("CBS This Morning," 09/08/14)
- Complete CBSNews.com coverage: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
In April, more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists - most never to be seen again.
- Schoolgirl abducted in Nigeria describes her escape ("CBS Evening News," 05/02/14)
- 276 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls will be sold, militants threaten (05/05/14)
- Still no trace of 200 kidnapped girls in Nigeria ("CBS Evening News," 11/03/14)
May brought a homecoming for U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, who'd been held captive by the Taliban in Afghanistan for five years.
- Is Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl a hero or a deserter? (03/02/14)
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl back in U.S. (06/13/14)
- Debate over prisoner swap that freed Bowe Bergdahl intensifies (06/02/14)
- Bowe Bergdahl in "good spirits" after Army questioning, lawyer says (08/07/14)
In June, House Republican Leader Eric Cantor lost his primary race to conservative David Brat, bringing an apparent end to Cantor's 13-year political career.
- Eric Cantor: "No regrets" after stunning re-election defeat (CBS News, 06/15/14)
- How did David Brat defeat Eric Cantor? (CBS News, 06/10/14)
- Eric Cantor's immigration predicament ("60 Minutes," 2012)
- Ex-House Majority Leader Eric Cantor joins investment bank (CBS News, 09/02/14)
Basketball star LeBron James left the Heat in Miami to return to his home state Cleveland Cavaliers in July.
- Could LeBron James mend fences with Cavaliers owner and fans? (07/11/14)
- Clevelanders celebrate LeBron James' return, Miami owner "shocked" (07/11/14)
In August, the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., led to protests that continue to this day.
- Some Ferguson, Mo., residents don't buy cops' story of fatal teen shooting ("CBS Evening News," 08/10/14)
- Ferguson timeline: A look back at events surrounding Michael Brown shooting (11/24/14)
- Fires, vandalism, gunfire follow grand jury decision in Ferguson (11/24/14)
- Complete CBSNews.com coverage: Ferguson, Mo., police shooting
- George Clooney on Amal Alamuddin: "I'm marrying up" (CBS News, 07/21/14)
- George Clooney talks wedding to Amal Alamuddin (CBS News, 09/08/14)
- George Clooney, Amal Alamuddin step out as newlyweds (09/29/14)
- The Scottish battle for independence ("Sunday Morning," 09/14/14)
- Scottish referendum splits families, beer drinkers ("CBS Evening News," 09/16/14)
- Gallery: Scotland's independence referendum
- Queen Elizabeth gives first comments on Scottish independence vote (09/14/14)
October brought the first death from Ebola in the United States when Liberian Thomas Duncan died at a Dallas hospital.
- The Ebola hot zone ("60 Minutes," 11/09/14)
- Massachusetts doctor cured of Ebola returning to Liberia (12/16/14)
- Promising results from new Ebola vaccine trial (CBS News, 12/23/14)
- Complete CBSNews.com coverage: Ebola virus
Republicans will remember November as the month midterm elections gave them control of both the House and the Senate.
- CBS News' 2014 Midterm Elections Center
- Mitch McConnell: Obama should "move to the middle" to work with the GOP (CBS News, 10/31/14)
And December is the month President Obama announced the re-establishment of diplomatic relations with Cuba after more than 50 years.
- Congress deeply divided over Obama's Cuba deal (CBS News, 12/17/14)
- Can Congress block Obama's efforts to normalize Cuba relations? (CBS News, 12/18/14)
- Marco Rubio: Rand Paul taking his cues from Obama on Cuba (CBS News, 12/20/14)
- Cuba-U.S. relations: Colin Powell backs Obama on diplomatic changes ("CBS This Morning," 12/18/14)
- Cuba welcomes "the entire package" offered by Obama (12/22/14)
- The story of modern Cuba ("Sunday Morning," 12/21/14)
for more features.