Watch CBS News

Authorities: Man Suspected Of Killing Soccer Coach Near Union Square Fled The Country

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- The man suspected in the brutal murder of soccer coach Michael Jones fled to Mexico after the violent attack, police confirmed to 1010 WINS on Tuesday night.

Authorities said Orlando Orea, also known by the aliases Orlando Gutierrez or Orlando Estevas, bought a one-way ticket to Mexico City on an Aero Mexico flight just moments before it was scheduled to leave John F. Kennedy Airport on Tuesday morning.

While officials tried to place Orea, 32, on a no-fly list, he was already gone by the time they had done so.

As the investigation continued Tuesday, Police said they were not ruling out the possibility of mistaken identity, CBS 2's Chris Wragge reported.

Jones' father spoke out earlier Tuesday.

"I think we're all really in a state of shock... It's unbelievable," Perry Jones said.

A British father expressed heartache as he continues to deal with the murder of his son. Michael Jones, 25, was killed Sunday morning while walking on 14th Street near Union Square.

Perry Jones said he learned of his son's death through a friend of Michael's who messaged him on Facebook. It read, "Call the NYPD immediately."

"It was very shocking to talk about details with the police officer and at the same time think, how I am going to tell my wife and his brother the news at the same time? It was quite difficult," Perry Jones said.

Michael Jones was seen walking with and possibly arguing with his killer moments before he was murdered. Police told CBS 2's Wragge the vicious attack may have been a case of mistaken identity.

Investigators are trying to determine if an argument in a bar over a woman led the suspect to go after Michael Jones. According to police, it is believed he was not involved in the fight.

"He was incredibly excited for the next stage of his life.  I can't express how tragic for our community and how unfair it is for someone at that point, planning for the next level and to have it taken away so quickly," friend Melinda Ganales said Monday.

While police continue their investigation, family and friends on two continents are mourning the loss of a beloved soccer coach, friend and son.

"Like most people … you don't expect things like this to happen to you," Perry Jones said.

Perry Jones went onto say Michael loved the lifestyle living in New York City and coaching soccer with the goal of one day getting his visa so he could stay here permanently.

Perry Jones also said he has had no further discussions with the NYPD about the case. His goal now is to get his son home.

The Liverpool, England, native was a coach with the New York Red Bulls Youth Training Program.  The Red Bulls will hold a memorial for Jones Wednesday in Westchester County.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below ...

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.