Watch CBS News

Family, Friends Say Goodbye To Subway Push Victim

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- Friends and family said goodbye Thursday to a Queens man who was killed earlier this week after police said he was pushed in front of an oncoming train in the subway.

The funeral for 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han was held at the Edward D. Jamie Funeral Chapel in Flushing, Queens. A handful of mourners gathered at the chapel for the service, which was said in Korean.

"I am very, very sorry," said family friend Jong Lee. "We miss a good person."

Wednesday night, 30-year-old Naeem Davis was arraigned on a second-degree murder charge and ordered held without bail in connection with Han's death.

Prosecutors said Davis used force to throw Han onto the tracks Monday at the 49th Street station and never once offered help. Han was then hit and killed by a southbound "Q" train.

"The defendant never once offered any aid to the victim as the train approached the platform and in fact, this defendant watched the train hit the victim,'' Prosecutor James Lin told the judge.

In cell phone video released by police, authorities said Davis can be seen arguing with Han moment before, telling him "Take your [expletive] over there, stand on line, wait for the R train."

Investigators said Davis admitted he pushed Han moments after the fight, but said he didn't know a train was coming.

Davis' defense attorney said Han was drunk and that a bottle of vodka was found in his pocket. He said Han may have been the aggressor in the initial argument.

"How he wound up in the tracks, how responsible he is, what Mr. Han may or may not have done that brought about this, I just don't know," said attorney Stephen Pokart. "What precipitated that incident? Who's responsible in the incident? What was my client doing in terms of defending himself against Mr. Han? What was Mr. Han doing to my client?"

Whatever happened on the platform, Han's only child, 20-year-old Ashley, said she doesn't want to dwell on what could have been done to save her father.

"The thought of someone helping him up in a matter of seconds would have been great," she said at a news conference Wednesday. "What happened has happened."

Both men were struggling to survive. Davis is homeless and makes fast cash running errands for street vendors. Han, a Korean immigrant, didn't have a job, and his wife is disabled.

The family came to the U.S. 25 years ago. Han was on his way to renew his passport at the time of his death. They said he had been looking for work.

Ashley said her father was someone who always wanted to pursue the American dream.

"I just wish I had one last chance to tell my dad how much I love him," Ashley said. "Our family is grieving now, but we want to reach out and thank everyone who offered their help."

That includes strangers, moved by a tragedy that shook the city.

Police told CBS 2's Weijia Jiang subway pushes are unusual. Han's death was a reminder that rare doesn't mean never.

After the funeral service, Han's coffin was taken to a crematory.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below ...

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.