Watch CBS News

Once-Missing 9/11 Memorial Bracelet Unites Families From NYC, Long Island

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- A 9/11 memorial bracelet has been found 10 years after the son of a fallen firefighter lost it at a Long Island beach.

The bracelet was engraved with the name of fallen New York City firefighter Michael Otten, who died on Sept. 11.

Lost Bracelet Honoring Fallen NYC Firefighter Found After 10 Years

Jonathan Otten said he lost the bracelet on the beach at Robert Moses State Park a decade ago.

"It's a whole memory about my childhood. I just remember wearing it for two or three years until I lost it," he told CBS 2's Elise Finch on Monday.

Marlene Quinn, an emergency room nurse who lives on Long Island, just happened to be in the right place at the right time. She said she spent many summer mornings walking the beach at Robert Moses with her brother, a former firefighter who died unexpectedly in April.

"So this one particular day I looked down and there was this bracelet that appeared after the wave had receded," Quinn said.

The fallen firefighter's widow, Marion Otten, told 1010 WINS' Mona Rivera the bracelet arrived wrapped in tissue paper and came with a note from Quinn.

"It was very surprising because a long time had passed," Otten said. "It's shocking, it took me back a little bit, but then I find it very comforting."

The inscription made it clear that it belonged to the family of a slain firefighter. Quinn said she knew what it would mean to get it back to the family.

"It's brought a lot of peace and joy to both of our families," Quinn said.

The Ottens agreed.

"I just think its wonderful. It's something great to have back in the family," Jonathan Otten said.

"I find comfort in it that it's a sign. He's here. He's with us. He's got our backs and it doesn't get much clearer than this," Marion Otten said of her husband.

The bracelet is battered and very fragile. The Ottens said they would keep it in a case to protect it and to remind them that Michael will always be with them.

The Otten and Quinn families recently met face to face and vowed to stay in touch and help one another as they mourn their lost loved ones, Finch reported.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.