Watch CBS News

Firefighter suffers serious neck and face burns in Staten Island fire, FDNY says

get the free app
  • link copied
FDNY firefighter expected to make full recovery from injuries
FDNY firefighter expected to make full recovery from injuries 01:42

NEW YORK -- An FDNY firefighter was critically injured after a home went up in flames on Staten Island on Friday.

See below for the latest updates.

 

Firefighter's condition improving after Friday night injury

A New York City firefighter remained in a hospital Saturday after being seriously injured while battling a house fire in Staten Island on Friday night.

As CBS2's Astrid Martinez reports, the firefighter lost control of a hose nozzle, causing him to knock off his face mask and inhale dangerous hot fumes.

Although he was still intubated Saturday, doctors said his condition has improved significantly.

"Anytime somebody's intubated, it's considered a very critical situation," acting deputy chief Kevin Jackson said.

The firefighter is in serious but stable condition after suffering severe burns to his airways.

It happened as he was battling a blaze in Staten Island on Friday night. Video shows smoke billowing in the sky from miles away, and fire truck sirens could be heard in the background as emergency responders approached the house.

"There was a heavy fire condition with fire coming out the windows of the dwelling when firefighters arrived," Jackson said.

The fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. on the second floor of a three-story home on Gary Court.

It took crews almost an hour to get the flames under control.

"While they started to extinguish the fire, the nozzle hit into his face piece and his face piece became loose," Jackson said.

Officials say the firefighter breathed in super-heated gases that were coming from the fire. He was able to climb back down the ladder while other firefighters took over the hose and continued fighting the flames.

He was immediately rushed to a local hospital along with another resident who suffered a minor injury.

Fire marshals have determined the fire was accidental, caused by a power strip, and say there were no serious injuries to anyone in the home thanks to swift actions of first responders and working fire alarms.

 

Firefighter in critical but stable condition after battling blaze

Staten Island firefighter suffered serious face & neck burns 01:27

An FDNY firefighter is in critical, but stable condition Saturday after a home went up in flames on Staten Island.

The firefighter suffered serious burns to his neck and face, CBS2's Christina Fan reported. 

At least one person had to be rescued after the fire at a home in Bulls Head started at around 8:30 p.m. Friday. 

The fire appeared to start on the second floor of the 3-story building. Investigators were going door-to-door to find surveillance video that could be used to figure out what caused it. 

According to the FDNY, firefighters had a difficult and challenging time entering the building and getting close to the flames. It took almost an hour to get the fire under control. 

Eventually, firefighters were able to rescue a tenant who was trapped on the third floor. We're told that person is recovering with minor injuries. 

We are waiting for an update on the firefighter's condition.

By Christina Fan
View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.