Trump calls for ceasefire in Gaza as Israeli military orders more evacuations
President Trump raised expectations last week when he told reporters in the Oval Office that there could be a ceasefire agreement within the next week.
Watch CBS News
President Trump raised expectations last week when he told reporters in the Oval Office that there could be a ceasefire agreement within the next week.
The strikes come as President Trump on Friday said there could be a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas within the next week.
Israel drops all war-time restrictions, freeing people to return to their lives under a ceasefire with Iran, but uncertainty over the impact of 12 days of war leaves room for anxiety.
After some confusion, the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem says the State Department is "planning for contingencies" to help Americans leave Israel, but some aren't waiting around.
As Israel continues striking Iran, Trump says he's still considering whether the U.S. military should provide direct support in an increasingly deadly war.
An aid boat carrying Greta Thunberg and other activists was intercepted by Israeli forces en route to Gaza and arrived at an Israeli port on Monday. Turkey calls it an illegal and "heinous attack."
Judi Lynn Weinstein and Gad Haggai, U.S.-Israeli dual nationals, were killed in Hamas' Oct. 7, 2023 terrorist attack, but their bodies had been held in Gaza.
The American dual national Edan Alexander has been handed over by Hamas more than 19 months after he was taken hostage.
The overall toll of 52,243 includes nearly 700 bodies for which the documentation process was recently completed, the Hamas-run health ministry said in its latest update.
The meeting between President Trump and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu comes amid a stepped-up offensive in Gaza that the Israeli military said is aimed at putting pressure on Hamas to release the remaining hostages.
Israel previously threatened Gaza with "complete destruction and devastation" if Hamas didn't hand over the remaining hostages.
Israel has reportedly killed 500 people with its renewed assault in Gaza, as its threats to Palestinian civilians take on an increasingly menacing tone.
Officials in Hamas-ruled Gaza say the new Israeli assault has killed more than 400 people, as Israel accuses Hamas of refusing to extend the ceasefire.
Hamas said it accepted a proposal from mediators to release one living American-Israeli hostage and the bodies of four dual-nationals, but Israel cast doubt on the offer.
The air strike comes just before talks on the future of the truce are set to begin again this week.
President Trump issued a "last warning" to Hamas to release all hostages it still holds even as the White House confirmed unprecedented direct U.S.-Hamas talks.
Three days into Israel's Gaza aid freeze, one aid group says a resumption is imperative: "With humanitarian needs sky high, more aid access is required, not less."
Hundreds of aid trucks have entered Gaza daily since the ceasefire began on Jan. 19, and it was unclear what the immediate impact of the aid cutoff would be.
Israel says it will send negotiators, Hamas says it's ready to talk after Trump's envoy voices optimism that the Gaza ceasefire "will get to stage two."
"Facing South Florida" devotes the entire half hour to taking an up-close look at President Donald Trump's first month in office.
The body of Israeli hostage Shiri Bibas was said to have been returned earlier this week, but Israeli forces said it was the body of an unidentified Gazan woman.
Six living hostages — including two who were held in Gaza for a decade — were released by Hamas Saturday.
Hamas is under pressure from Israel and the U.S. at a crucial time for the Gaza ceasefire as it claims it could have misidentified a hostage's remains.
Hamas released four bodies, including the youngest captive taken in the Oct. 7, 2023, terrorist attack, Kfir Bibas, and his brother.
The Israeli prime minister, who met with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, also vowed to "finish the job" against Iran with United States support.
A new state report shows Florida recorded 694 reportable boating accidents in 2025, with officials pointing to increasingly congested waterways.
A report claiming Cuba acquired 300 military drones is drawing concern from South Florida leaders and national security observers, though officials say there is no threat.
Thirty years ago, a Cuban fighter jet shot down two civilian planes operated by Florida-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue, an incident that inflamed U.S.-Cuba relations.
Colombian businessman Alex Saab, alleged financial operator for Nicolás Maduro, appeared in Miami federal court after being deported to the U.S. on new money laundering charges.
Residents in Miami Gardens say drivers routinely ignore stop signs at Northwest 12th Avenue and Northwest 170th Terrace, raising safety concerns and calls for fixes.
A new state report shows Florida recorded 694 reportable boating accidents in 2025, with officials pointing to increasingly congested waterways.
A report claiming Cuba acquired 300 military drones is drawing concern from South Florida leaders and national security observers, though officials say there is no threat.
Thirty years ago, a Cuban fighter jet shot down two civilian planes operated by Florida-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue, an incident that inflamed U.S.-Cuba relations.
Colombian businessman Alex Saab, alleged financial operator for Nicolás Maduro, appeared in Miami federal court after being deported to the U.S. on new money laundering charges.
Residents in Miami Gardens say drivers routinely ignore stop signs at Northwest 12th Avenue and Northwest 170th Terrace, raising safety concerns and calls for fixes.
In courtroom testimony, Shandelle Maycock recounted the harrowing night her daughter was abandoned in the Everglades, describing the horrors they endured.
A former prison guard trainee has been sentenced to death for the 2019 execution-style killings of five women inside a Florida bank.
Florida coach Billy Napier is getting a fourth season to try to get the Gators back to their winning ways.
A Florida man has filed a federal lawsuit against Jacksonville sheriff's officers who severely beat him last year after he ran from a traffic stop.
The Marion County Sheriff's deputy told authorities that he accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend while cleaning his gun.
Thirty years ago, a Cuban fighter jet shot down two civilian planes operated by Florida-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue, an incident that inflamed U.S.-Cuba relations.
The Trump administration announced it's restricting people who don't have U.S. passports from entering the country if they have been in Congo, South Sudan or Uganda amid the Ebola outbreak.
The Trump administration has placed intense pressure on Cuba's communist leadership.
At issue in the cases was who can bring lawsuits in federal court to address potential violations of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.
President Trump had accused the Treasury Department and IRS of unlawfully allowing a government contractor to leak his tax returns and those of his sons and company.
The only remaining roadblock: Miami Dade County Commission Chairman Anthony Rodriguez, who has so far refused to say when – or even if – he will allow the full commission to vote on it.
A group of Miami residents, including historian Marvin Dunn, filed suit last week in federal court to block the transfer of land for the proposed library.
CBS News Miami has confirmed from multiple sources that the Miami Dade State Attorney's office is investigating A3.
State Senator Rosalind Osgood is urging Wasserman Schultz not to run in Florida's 22nd Congressional district.
Several commissioners have raised questions about how the center would be funded in future years.
The cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak has docked at the Dutch port of Rotterdam for disinfection, wrapping up a troubled journey that put world health authorities on alert.
At least 80 deaths have been reported in a new Ebola disease outbreak in Congo and Uganda, authorities said.
Dr. Tracy Beth Høeg, leader of the Food and Drug Administration division responsible for regulating prescription and over-the-counter drugs, is leaving her post, a senior FDA official confirmed.
A New York native is among 16 American passengers who are quarantining in Nebraska after being on the cruise ship that is at the center of the deadly hantavirus outbreak.
The head of the World Health Organization says "our work is not over" to contain hantavirus after evacuations from a cruise ship hit by a deadly outbreak of the illness.
AARP is sounding the alarm because it is so easy to fall for these schemes, but there are simple things everyone can do to protect themselves.
A lawsuit filed late last month took Chicago-based McDonald's to task over the McRib sandwich, calling its name a form of false advertising.
Florida insurance policyholders could be seeing some form of relief in their wallets thanks to market reforms made statewide, Gov. Ron DeSantis said.
The company said Tuesday that 85% of its retail products and "nearly all" of its school offerings are already made without "certified colors."
Less than two days after Delta Air Lines offered $30,000 to each passenger on board the flight that crashed and flipped in Toronto on Monday afternoon, the company is facing its first two lawsuits in the incident — and they likely won't be the last.
"Survivor" 48 and 50 contestant Joe Hunter believes his sister Joanna, whose death was ruled a suicide, was murdered. He and their mother are working to be Joanna's voice and advocate for others who have experienced domestic violence.
The Library of Congress revealed this year's list of 25 recordings to be preserved for future generations on the National Recording Registry.
"The Devil Wears Prada 2" edges out "Mortal Kombat II" at the North American box office this weekend.
A trial in the lawsuit between Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni was set to begin later in May.
The performance followed similar shows by Madonna in 2024 and Lady Gaga last year on one of the world's most iconic waterfronts.