Watch CBS News

Port Authority Police Shoot Suspect At The Holland Tunnel

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- A police-involved shooting at the Holland Tunnel Friday evening caused severe delays heading into and out of New York City.

Authorities are still unsure of what led up to the shooting, which happened in an eastbound lane around 6:10 p.m.  It may have been spurred by a blown checkpoint or refusal to stop by two men inside a Jeep.

"It still remains unclear exactly what precipitated that encounter," Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman told 1010 WINS' Terry Sheridan.

As the suspects approached the toll plaza, police tried to stop the men.  At that point, police said a "scuffle" ensued in which shots were initially fired by cops. Authorities then chased the suspects into the tunnel.

After the initial shooting, one of the men in the car got out and ran into another driver's car in a desperate bid to escape.

"He got in the passenger side in the back," said Mike Fedorko of the Port Authority Police.

One suspect was hit in the shoulder and sustained non-life threatening injuries.  He was taken to Bellevue Hospital.  The other suspect was taken into custody.

The two police officers involved in the incident were taken to Jersey City Medical Center for treatment, including trauma and injuries suffered in the scuffle.

LINK: Check Traffic & Transit

The shooting led to massive backups all the way to Newark. Commuters were advised to take the George Washington Bridge or mass transit as alternatives.

CBS 2's Sean Hennessey spoke with stranded drivers, who were struck in traffic for hours.

"I've been waiting two and a half hours. And I've been making phone calls, so I know the George Washington is backed up, and the Lincoln is backed up," Tanasha Pettigrew said.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.