MADISON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) -- A New Jersey school cafeteria worker has been fired after students picked up bagels covered in blood earlier this month, according to published reports.
The worker had cut her hand while slicing the bagels at Central Avenue School in Madison, N.J., on Jan. 9, and ended up getting blood on some of them, according to the New Jersey Star-Ledger report. But instead of throwing the bagels away, she put them out for sale and students ended up receiving them, the report said.
The employee also failed to report the accident in violation of sanitation rules, and had been using a knife to cut the bagels rather than a bagel guillotine, the newspaper reported.
Altogether, about 18 bagels that might have had blood on them were sold at the school, and 10 others were pulled upon discovery of the blood, according to published reports.
School foodservice provider Pomptonian Food Services fired the employee within the day, and school officials and parents were notified, the newspaper reported.
Pomptonian Food Service chief executive officer Mark Vidovich said the fired employee agreed to a blood test after parents expressed concerns, and the results did not show any health concerns parents needed to worry about, according to Patch.com
Neither the Madison Public Schools Web site nor the site for Pomptonian Food Services had any mention of the incident as of Saturday.
Do you think firing the worker was the right move? Leave your comments below...
for more features.