Watch CBS News

Suspect In Custody After Multiple Shootings In Maryland

BETHESDA, Md. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A federal security officer suspected in three fatal shootings outside a high school, a mall and a supermarket in the Washington, D.C., area was arrested Friday, police said.

Eulalio Tordil, 62, an employee of the Federal Protective Service, which provides security at federal properties, was taken into custody without incident near the supermarket, authorities said. The brief manhunt and seemingly indiscriminate shootings rekindled fears of the D.C. sniper in 2002, which paralyzed the nation's capital and its suburbs.

Tordil was put on administrative duties in March after a protective order was issued against him in which his wife said he had threatened to harm her if she left him, The Washington Post reported. Tordil subjected their children to "intense military-like discipline," like push-ups and detention in a dark closet, Tordil's wife said, according to the order.

Authorities said Tordil followed his 44-year-old wife, Gladys, to their children's high school Thursday. As she waited in an SUV in the parking lot of High Point High, Tordil confronted her and shot her. He also shot and wounded a man who tried to intervene.

On Friday morning, about 15 miles from school, police responded to a shooting at the Westfield Montgomery Mall in Bethesda. One person was initially shot and two others may have been shot coming to that person's aid, said Montgomery County Police Assistant Chief Darryl McSwain. There was no reason to believe the victims knew the shooter, he said.

A man died and another one was in critical condition, Montgomery County police spokesman Capt. Paul Starks said. A woman had injuries that were not life-threatening.

About a half an hour later, police were called to a shooting at a Giant Food store in Aspen Hill, about 5 miles away. Police later tweeted that a woman died in that shooting.

"We do have reason to believe that this incident and the one in Aspen Hill,  potentially the one also ... in High Point, were in fact related," McSwain said.

Around 3 p.m., Tordil was taken into custody near the grocery store.

"I don't know if he was hiding out," Starks said. "That's where we located him, and that's where he was arrested without incident."

An Associated Press photographer saw Tordil being searched and taken into custody in a shopping mall adjacent to the Giant. A car matching the description of the one that authorities said they were searching for, a silver Hyundai with Pennsylvania plates, was parked at the center.

The grocery store in Aspen Hill is a few hundred feet from a Michaels craft store that was first targeted by D.C. sniper John Allen Muhammad. Muhammad's shot into the store did not hit anyone, but he killed a man about a mile away less than an hour later, kicking off a three-week killing spree that left 10 dead.

For a time Friday, all Montgomery County schools were sheltering in place at the request of police, but after Tordil was taken into custody, the order was lifted.

A wanted poster said Tordil had made threats to commit "suicide by cop," CBS2's Edward Lawrence reported.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.