NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- A fire broke out in a manhole in Chelsea Tuesday evening, sending thick, gray smoke into the air and prompting the FDNY to evacuate a building.
The fire broke out just after 4 p.m. at 23rd Street and Seventh Avenue, officials told CBS2. The weather was blamed for the incident.
As CBS2's Valerie Castro reported, crews from both Con Edison and the FDNY remained at the scene at 6 p.m., but most of the smoke had subsided.
Video from a witness, Michael Ruggiero, showed smoke billowing earlier from the manhole and turning the surrounding air an acrid shade of brownish gray in front of a Crunch Gym.
Manhole Fire Sends Smoke Billowing Into Air In Chelsea; Building Evacuated
The FDNY evacuated a building at 213 W. 23rd St. due to concerns about possible high levels of carbon monoxide. No injuries were reported.
"I saw a lot of smoke, so when I was on the street, I saw a lot of smoke and the smell was so strong," witness Javier Diaz said.
The FDNY was investigating what exactly caught fire.
Police closed 23rd Street between Seventh and Eighth avenue for a few hours as crews battled the blaze. Pedestrians were also asked to stay on either Seventh or Eighth Avenue while crews investigated the blaze.
for more features.