Watch CBS News

Calls for justice after MTA worker Anthony Nelson assaulted while protecting customers

MTA workers call for justice after attack on employee
MTA workers call for justice after attack on employee 02:10

NEW YORK -- A suspect accused of assaulting an MTA employee and sending him to the hospital did not show up to court Tuesday, but that did not stop supporters of the victim to rally outside the courthouse.

As CBS2's Alecia Reid reported, they're demanding justice, and hope this won't happen to anyone else.

With a broken nose and collarbone, Anthony Nelson continues to recover at the hospital. The 35-year-old MTA employee has had two surgeries since his attack. The latest reconstructed a displaced collarbone.

"My son did not deserve this. He's a brother, he's an uncle, he's a son, he's a father, he has has a fiancé. This is not right," said Lisa Nelson, the victim's mother.

A photo of MTA worker Anthony Nelson
MTA worker Anthony Nelson Anthony Nelson

There were multiple calls for justice outside the Bronx County Courthouse on Tuesday, the day his alleged attacker, Alexander Wright, was due in front of a judge, but didn't show.

"He's a menace to society and I hope these judges give him the max," Lisa Nelson said.

Wright failed to post his $5,000 bail and remains in police custody. Those rallying for justice said that amount should've been much higher.

"Five thousand dollars for a man that has a record, 40 people he assaulted, same or similar situations?" said Robert Kelley of Transport Workers Union Local 100.

Wright is facing two counts of assault, and one of harassment after allegedly attacking and beating Anthony Nelson, who tried helping a passenger Wright was provoking, police said. Even with severe injuries, the MTA employee was still able to subdue the suspect until police arrived. Loved ones said he's still traumatized.

"I'm so used to seeing my brother strong and being really happy and upbeat, so to see him in the bed crying, it hurts," sister Nashia Nelson said.

A spokesperson for TWU Local 100 said employees are scared to come to work, and they want the justice system to take this case seriously.

"To assault on an MTA employee is a felony charge up to seven years. We want the maximum," Kelley said.

Wright, 49, is due back in court on Friday. A temporary restraining order has been filed against him.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.