Watch CBS News

15-Year-Old Girl Found Dead On Brentwood Street, Second Body Found Blocks Away

BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) -- Two teenage girls have beem found dead blocks apart in Brentwood.

Police responding to a 911 call first found the body of Nisa Mickens lying in the road on Stahley Street around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said she had lacerations and head trauma.

As CBS2's Tony Aiello reported, the girl's death came just before her 16th birthday.

A second body matching the description of 16-year-old Kayla Cuevas -- who was with Mickens on Tuesday night -- was found a few blocks away in a wooded area off Ray Court at around 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to a police spokesperson.

"A resident of Ray Court in Brentwood called 911 to report a body near the tree line of a wooded area of her yard," Suffolk County Homicide Squad, Det. Lt. Kevin Beyrer said.

Hopes were shattered in Suffolk County with the discovery of the second body in Brentwood.

As TV 10/55's Long Island Bureau Chief Richard Rose reported, grief stricken Elizabeth Alvarado screamed at neighbors to come forward with information about the death of her daughter.

"You all need to say something," she said.

She stood in the middle of Stahley Street where the girl's body was found with severe wounds to the head and face.

"This is a vicious attack. The injuries are significant, and whoever did this is depraved," Suffolk County Police Commissioner Tim Sini said.

Police suspect a gang connection to the killings.

Cuevas' godmother, Amanda Alexander, said the family had become increasingly concerned about letting her goddaughter walk the streets of the crime plagued community.

"I'm just nervous something could have gone wrong, a lot of things have gone on here in Brentwood," she said.

Alvarado sobbed as she placed a memento at a memorial -- balloons that had been meant to mark her daughter's Sweet 16 birthday on Wednesday. 

Suffolk County Legislator Monica Martinez is an educator who knew both girls.

"Again, I don't even know how to begin to even process what has happened here today," she said.

Community activist Lenny Tucker had strong words for the killer.

"To whoever is responsible; it is in your best interest to turn yourself in. Because sooner or later you know what they say; what's done in the dark will come to light," he said.

Police said they are tracking the girls' social media activity in hopes it will lead to an answer.

The medical examiner will work to determine the causes of the girls' death.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Homicide Squad at 631-852-6392 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.