Watch CBS News

Antwon Rose Protesters, Demanding Firing Of Officer Rosfeld, Shut Down Tri-Boro Expressway

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

EAST PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- Dozens of people protesting the shooting death of Antwon Rose Jr. by East Pittsburgh Police officer Michael Rosfeld blocked traffic again Thursday, eventually bringing out police in riot gear.

About 100 demonstrators shut down the Tri-Boro Expressway in Turtle Creek and East Pittsburgh during the afternoon rush hour, but later, as they marched down Electric Avenue toward Route 30, police in riot gear blocked their path.

KDKA's Paul Martino Reports:


The protest began earlier, around 3:30 p.m., at the East Pittsburgh Police Station and City Hall.

Organizers said they were rallying to demand that Rosfeld, who has now been charged with criminal homicide, be fired.

They also gave out the phone number of Allegheny County President Judge Jeffrey Manning's chambers, and had the entire group call to demand the officer's bond be revoked.

Rosfeld turned himself in on Wednesday. He was later released on bond and placed on house arrest until the trial. He was also ordered to wear an ankle monitor.

The protesters also called for the resignations of the East Pittsburgh mayor and police chief, and better police department hiring policies.

The protest remained mostly peaceful on the Tri-Boro Expressway. The protesters formed a circle on the road, chanting and holding signs, and then were on the march again back into East Pittsburgh at Electric Avenue.

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

The highway was shut down for about an hour and a half.

The heavy police presence brought in to monitor the situation was able to turn around the vehicles stopped by the protest, and started detouring motorists around the area.

After stopping back at the police station, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports, the crowd headed down Electric Avenue around 7 p.m. and were eventually met by the officers in riot gear who stopped them from going any further.

Pictures captured by the Post-Gazette show Braddock Mayor John Fetterman intervening. Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto was on scene, too, along with some other Allegheny County officials.

(Source: Michael Santiago/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

The crowd eventually dispersed peacefully; however, the PG reports that they were chanting "we will be back."

No injuries or arrests were reported.


Last week, the protesters shut down the Parkway East and the Homestead Grays Bridge.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.