PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - A ten-month-old baby had to be revived with Narcan after getting into a bundle of heroin.
The child's mother, 27-year-old Melissa Miller, is now in the Beaver County Jail after police say she left the drugs within reach of the child.
Police say on Saturday morning, they were called to a house on Rice Avenue in Ambridge for a report of a baby that was unresponsive and not breathing.
Police say they were told the baby had gotten into a bundle of heroin and was overdosing. They gave the baby two doses of naloxone and started CPR until paramedics arrived.
"It was through our investigation it was learned she had somehow ingested a heroin stamp bag in her mouth and we had to administer Narcan," Ambridge Police Chief John DeLuca said.
She was flown to Children's, where her condition is not known.
"It's just hard to see. It's devastating for the family. The child has no reason or blame for what happened -- a 10-month-old baby girl. It's just the heroin crisis we're in," DeLuca said.
Miller is charged with reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child, but she is only one of a litany of parents charged and awaiting trial after their children unwittingly ingested dangerous drugs.
Just last week, police arrested Elizabeth Rexrode of Brookline after they say her 5-month-old granddaughter ingested heroin.
This follows the arrest of Brookline parents in July after their child was suspected of eating cocaine and the arrest Van Redding of Carnegie after the death of his 4-year-old son.
"We're seeing more and more instances where people have their drugs within arm's reach of children and it's especially lethal since more and more these drugs are laced with fentanyl," Karen Pavan of Oasis Recovery Center said.
Neighbors in Ambridge were shocked.
"It's sad. That's messed up. I hope the baby's gonna be ok. I really do," said Cindy Gamble.
for more features.