NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- The new normal for New York City schools now includes outdoor education.
He even joined in on the fun, participating in some of the student's activities.
Schools: The New Normal
- Parents Work To Keep Kids Focused While Virtually Learning
- Cyber Security Concerns Grow As Many Classes Go Online
- The Rush Is On To Bridge The Digital Divide In Tri-State Area Cities
- How To Help Children Deal With Anxiety As They Return To School
- Distance Learning Tools And Links For Parents Teaching At Home
- Complete Back-To-School Coverage
Carranza praised the school's program and explained why it's essential.
"Our outdoor learning initiatives provide our students with the time that they need to be able to exercise and flex their curiosity muscles," he said.
The chancellor says there are currently 11 sites utilizing outdoor learning.
He says the city continues to work with engineers to assure the air quality in school buildings is safe when all classes have to be held indoors.
You can get the latest news, sports and weather on our brand new CBS New York app. Download here.
for more features.