Watch CBS News

Police: Officers Open Fire On Armed Teen

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) - Two police officers fatally shot a teenage boy who they say pointed a gun at them after they approached him on a Brooklyn street.

Plainclothes officers from the Brooklyn South Anti-Crime Patrol were walking East Flatbush on Saturday night when they came upon a group of young men standing in front of a home on East 52nd Street, according to police.

When the officers approached and started to talk to the group around 11:30 p.m., a 16-year-old boy began acting suspiciously and ran from the officers, police said.

Police said at one point, the boy, identified by police as Kimani Gray, grabbed for something in his waistband, 1010 WINS' Glenn Schuck reported. Gray pulled out a gun and turned at the officers, according to police.

Police: Undercover Officers Open Fire On Armed Teen

When the plainclothes officers saw the gun, they both fired. Gray was pronounced dead at Kings County Hospital a short time later, police said.

Witnesses were critical of the officers' actions.

``The cops, they just jumped out of the car so fast,'' 16-year-old Devonte Brown told the Daily News ``They started shooting him and he went down, he was bleeding, holding his side, screaming, `stop, stop,''' Brown said.

Akeem Brown, 15, said. ``We didn't know he had a gun.''

Police said a loaded .38-caliber revolver was recovered at the scene.

Since October, Gray had been arrested three times, police said.

The officers involved were treated for trauma, police said.

The shooting was the second involving police and civilians in New York City on Saturday.

In the afternoon, two detectives and a police officer from the Staten Island Gang Squad stopped a man driving a 2012 Toyota Camry on Manor Road, near North Gannon Avenue, on Staten Island. As the driver attempted to flee the scene he pinned a detective in between a pair of cars and was seen reaching for a weapon, according to authorities.

One of the officers fired and hit the suspect in the torso. The wounded man kept driving before crashing into another vehicle and a utility, police said. He then attempted to flee on foot, but was eventually apprehended by the Gang Squad.

The Detectives and the Police Officer were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.