NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- There are new signs of hope in New York's fight against the Omicron variant surge.
The state reported just over 19,000 new cases -- down more than 50% compared to the previous seven days. Hospitalizations are also down 25%.
"You're seeing cases come down very rapidly in the East Coast, the states that were the early outbreak states -- Florida, the mid-Atlantic, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles," said Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former FDA commissioner and Pfizer board member. "This virus is spreading to the Midwest. You're seeing cases pick up in states like Montana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Wyoming, Idaho. So it's not done yet."
New Jersey and Connecticut are also seeing a drop in positivity rates.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC's COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC's COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
for more features.