Police: 6 Masked Gunmen Tie Up Residents, Ransack Long Island Home
ROOSEVELT, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) -- Police on Long Island are looking for six masked gunmen who they said ransacked a home after tying up two residents and locking them in a basement closet.
It happened around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at a home on Beechwood Avenue in Roosevelt.
A 22-year-old man was outside in a shed when a masked man armed with a gun walked up and demanded they go inside, police said. When the two went into the house, police said five other masked armed men were already inside with victim's 51-year-old father.
That's when the suspects ordered the victims to the ground and demanded money, police said. They then forced them into the basement where they tied up the victims and put them in a closet, police said.
The victims were eventually able to free themselves and when they went back upstairs, police said they found the home had been ransacked.
Authorities said the suspects made off with a cellphone and a debit card. The victims were not hurt.
Police believe this was a random act, WCBS 880's Sophia Hall reported.
Police describe the suspects as black men between the ages of 22 and 26 and between 5' and 5'11' tall. They were dressed in all black with black ski masks and black gloves.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.