Watch CBS News

13-Year-Old Connecticut Student Dies After Overdosing On Fentanyl At School

HARTFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork) -- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont and other officials are reminding parents about available mental health services for children after a 13-year-old boy died from a fentanyl overdose at school.

The student was found unconscious inside the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy in Hartford on Thursday. He died over the weekend.

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid.

Lamont says the community must rally to teach children about the dangers.

"We've got to do a much better job with our kids, every day reaching out, telling them why, this is a game of Russian Roulette and you always lose in a game of Russian Roulette. Do not touch this stuff," Lamont said.

Two other students who were also exposed to fentanyl were treated and released from a hospital.

Police found 40 bags of fentanyl at the school.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.