Watch CBS News

NYPD Officer Wilbert Mora Remains Hospitalized After Harlem Shooting; Sources Say Suspect Had Multiple Guns Hidden Under Mattress

UPDATE: NYPD Officer Wilbert Mora Dies After Being Shot In Line Of Duty In Harlem

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- There is an unwavering sense of solidarity in Harlem, where people say they will never forget the officers shot last week.

Candles are still burning, and messages of support are still comforting. The city is hoping NYPD Officer Wilbert Mora pulls through, while keeping the loved ones of fallen Officer Jason River in their prayers.

As the days go by, the heartbreak in the city and its police force are grappling with seems to stay the same.

As CBS2's John Dias reported, warm embraces were shared among officers Tuesday, as many built on an already somber vigil outside the 32nd police precinct. That's where the 27-year-old Mora was stationed, along with his 22-year-old partner Rivera.

"It's just very sad for the family," Harlem resident Jessica Caldron said.

Mora remains in grave condition at NYU Langone Hospital.

CBS2 is now getting a look inside Harlem Hospital, where he and Rivera were first treated. A picture shows the hospital's CEO debriefing the emergency room staff who tried their absolute hardest to save Rivera's life.

Now, the city is praying for a miracle for Mora.

"You already have one down, that's enough," said Harlem resident Darryl T. Downing.

Downing has lived in Harlem most of his life and said he's angry to hear the suspect, 47-year-old Lashawn McNeil, was heavily armed during Friday's brazen attack on the officers.

It was a stolen gun from Baltimore that he fired off, but sources tell CBS2 McNeil had multiple weapons, including a legally purchased loaded AR-15 with 20 rounds in it, which was found between a mattress and box spring.

"That was a serious weapon. I was shocked by that weapon," Downing said.

Officials say McNeil died Monday due to his injuries. He was shot twice by Officer Sumit Sulan, who was just two weeks on the job and had two cops down.

Sources say Sulan acted decisively facing the split second, life or death situation.

"It's a lot to take, and it's overwhelming for him as well," his sister, Harsha Sulan, told CBS2. "Everyone in the family is here for him. Everyone in the department is here for him."

Sulan joined the NYPD last year and has already received praise for getting illegal guns off the streets.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.