Watch CBS News

Father Charged With Abandoning 3-Year-Old Daughter At Harlem Subway Restaurant

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- A man was arrested Sunday morning after leaving his 3-year-old daughter at a Subway restaurant in Harlem on Saturday night, police said.

Stanley Fredrique, 34, of Elmont, Long Island, has been charged with abandonment of a child, reckless endangerment and act in a manner injurious to a child.

The man was being held at the 26th Precinct station house. As the father was being taken into custody, he protested his arrest, CBS2's Steve Langford reported.

"You guys not in my shoes, you guys don't have no idea what's going on," Fredrique cried out.

Surviellance video shows Fredrique and his daughter happily walking toward the Subway shop where he bought the child a sandwich and left her there.

Rahman Mohammed, who was working at a fruit stand outside said he believes the father was drunk.

"And she asked the guy, 'Daddy Daddy Daddy' and the guy came back and talked to the girl, 'little baby, oh go sit down, I'm come back,'" Mohammed said. "And that's it, he left, ya, he left and didn't come back again."

3-Year-Old Girl Abandoned At Harlem Subway Restaurant

A good Samaritan at the restaurant then took her to a police station, 1010 WINS' Roger Stern reported.

Fredrique was apparently intoxicated when he left the child at the restaurant, sources told Langford.

He told police he forgot her, and when he realized the next day she was missing, he tried to report her missing to police, the sources said.

Natalie was abandoned in a Harlem Subway restaurant on July 11, 2015. (Credit: NYPD)

The man and the toddler entered the restaurant at 281 St. Nicholas Ave. around 11:30 p.m. The father bought the child a sandwich and then left, police said.

Police said the girl could tell them her name, Natalie, but not much else.

Abandoned Child
Stanley Fredrique told traffic agents in Brooklyn on Sunday he had lost his 3-year-old daughter. (Credit: Theodore Parisienne for New York Daily News)

"We tried to ask her her last night -- she couldn't come up with her last name," Detective Vincent Signoretti told Stern. "And before the good Samaritan walked her over to the local precinct, they tried walking around the neighborhood, and she couldn't figure out where she lived either."

Natalie, who was wearing a green dress with white polka dots and blue pants, was transported to St. Luke's Hospital, for evaluation, but has no injuries.

As of Sunday evening, she was released into the custody of her mother. The mother refused to give a comment to CBS2's Matt Kozar as she rushed into the house with the toddler.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.