Watch CBS News

Garth Brooks Fans Devastated Following 3-Hour Rain Delay, No Refunds

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork)-- Saturday night's thunderstorms delayed a Garth Brooks concert at Yankee Stadium for three hours.

On Sunday, some fans who weren't able to stay late told CBS2's Ali Bauman they are furious they won't be getting a refund.

The rain delay announcement at Brooks' concert divided fans. Some waited three hours after the show was supposed to start for Brooks to take the stage, while hundreds of others had to leave before they could make their trains home.

"We expected the concert to last two hours so we expected to take the 10:50 train to come home-- so that's what we took, but there was no concert," fan Jennifer Morningstar said.

Morningstar and seven family members came all the way from Poughkeepsie to see Brooks and spent $73 per ticket. However, since the tickets said "rain or shine," they will not be refunded the almost $600.

"Really disappointing, very disappointed and scammed honestly," she said.

After a two-hour ride from Yankee Stadium, Morningstar and her family finally got back to Poughkeepsie at around 12:30 a.m., 40 minutes after the show started.

"It was heartbreaking in a way because it was for my mom's 50th birthday," Courtney Balassone said.

Balassone bought her family the tickets. She said they've been waiting for two years for Brooks to play the area. She's not the only fan who wants her money back. Brooks' Facebook page has hundreds of comments from fans who left so they wouldn't wind up stranded in New York.

"I got on the train and cried because it was just all that hard work for two years for nothing," she said.

Brooks' publicist told CBS2 that, "Announcements were made all along. It was not possible to specify when the concert would start as we had to put safety first and were at the mercy of Mother Nature."


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.