NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) -- Caitlyn Jenner has taken up Donald Trump's offer and used the women's restroom at one of his luxury buildings.
The Republican presidential candidate said last week that he believes transgender people should be able to use whichever bathroom they choose. Trump said North Carolina's so-called "bathroom law,'' which directs transgender people to use the bathroom that matches the gender on their birth certificates, has caused unnecessary strife.
Trump said that if Jenner -- who won an Olympic gold medal as Bruce Jenner -- were to walk into Trump Tower, she could use whichever bathroom she wanted.
Jenner posted a video titled "Bathroom Break'' on her Facebook page, showing her use the women's room -- without incident -- at the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Manhattan.
"Last week, Donald Trump said I can take a pee anywhere in a Trump facility, so I am going to go take a pee in the ladies room," Jenner says in the video before a concierge in the hotel lobby directs her to the restroom.
"Thank you, Donald. I really appreciate it, and by the way Ted, nobody got molested," Jenner later says in the video, addressing Trump's main rival, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz who last week said Trump was giving in to "political correctness."
During an interview with Glenn Beck last Thursday, Cruz said, "Donald Trump is no different from politically correct leftist elites. Today, he joined them in calling for grown men to be allowed to use little girls' public restrooms. As the dad of young daughters, I dread what this will mean for our daughters – and for our sisters and our wives. It is a reckless policy that will endanger our loved ones."
"The idea that grown men would be allowed alone in a bathroom with little girls… you don't need to be a behavioral psychologist to realize bad things can happen and any prudent person wouldn't allow that," Cruz added later.
After the North Carolina law was signed in late March, Deutsche Bank halted plans to add 250 North Carolina jobs, while PayPal reversed a decision to open a 400-employee operation center in Charlotte. Local tourism boards have also said they've lost millions of dollars thanks to cancelled conventions and business meetings.
Big-name acts like Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr and Pearl Jam have also cancelled upcoming concerts in the state in response to the law. In the political sphere, both New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy placed non-essential travel bans to the state in light of the ruling.
(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
for more features.