Watch CBS News

1 Suspect Dead, 1 In Custody After Deadly Shooting Of St. Paul Family

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- Police are continuing to search for answers after a family was killed in St. Paul early Friday morning.

The victims in the shooting have been identified as 47-year-old Wade McIntosh and his two teenage daughters: 19-year-old Maria and 17-year-old Olivia.

It all started at about 1 a.m. in the city's east side at the corner of English Street and Larpenteur Avenue.

Wade McIntosh, Maria and Olivia
Wade McIntosh, Maria (R) and Olivia (L) (credit: Facebook)

Police discovered the three family members dead and another woman injured.

Two hours later, officers found a toddler with a suspected kidnapper.

Soon after that, they discovered a second suspect who was dead.

Pastor Paul Marzahn was a friend of Wade's and said he loved spending time with his family.

"I was just devastated. I was surprised, I mean, as anybody would be," Marzahn said. "It's one thing to have a custody battle and argue about a child. It's another thing to be that vindictive to take out a whole family."

Wade McIntosh, Maria and Olivia
Wade McIntosh, Maria (L) and Olivia (R) (credit: Facebook)

Police said Maria and Olivia's mother was the other victim that was shot, and she remains in critical condition at Regions Hospital.

Maria had a little girl with the shooting suspect in this case -- 20-year-old Jeffrey Jemaile Taylor. It's believed he fled with the 18-month-old after shooting the family. But he was later found dead near the scene on the Bruce Vento Trail.

Police said the toddler was found safe in a shed nearby, with Taylor's half-brother with a similar name -- 19-year-old Jeffrey Arkis Taylor. He was taken into custody.

"Maria and Olivia were like the apple of [Wade's] eye. He just loved them," Marzahn said.

Wade McIntosh, Maria and Olivia
Wade McIntosh, Maria (R) and Olivia (L) (credit: Facebook)

He says Wade was reconnecting with his daughters after going through recovery for chemical abuse. He found God, joined Crossroad Church in Lakeville and even went on mission trips to help people in need.

"He went with us and he helped us build a deck for a woman who was basically living in a trailer house in the middle of nowhere," Marzahn said. "I worked out with him sometimes at Lifetime Fitness in Lakeville. He's come in and high five everyone. Everyone knew who he was. He was definitely not one to make a quiet entrance."

Marzahn says Wade had been sober for five years.

Jeffrey Arkis Taylor could face kidnapping and other charges on Monday.

It's still unclear how the alleged shooter died.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.