ST. PAUL, Minn. – At least 13 bald eagles were likely poisoned by scavenging the carcasses of euthanized animals that were improperly dumped at a Minnesota landfill, and three of the majestic birds have died.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that state and federal wildlife officials are investigating after the eagles were found this month near the Pine Bend Landfill in the Minneapolis suburb of Inver Grove Heights.
Eleven birds were brought to The Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota earlier this month. One bird died, and the center is caring for the other 10. Two other eagles were found dead near the landfill.
Inver Grove Heights police found the first sick eagle Dec. 4, and Raptor Center volunteers found several more.
The center says other animals were euthanized and left at a landfill, and the chemicals poisoned the eagles while they were feeding on them. State and federal agencies are investigating.
Of the 11 eagles that were brought to The Raptor Center, three also had lead poisoning and one eagle that was found to have bird flu died.
The Raptor Center runs almost entirely on donations. Click here for more information.
for more features.