Calamari and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Aquavit Executive Chef Marcus Jernmark
- 3 teaspoons basil seeds, can be purchased at Asian specialty stores
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash white vinegar
- 2 Tsp. basil, chopped
- Place basil seeds in a small saucepot, cover with water.
- Cook at medium heat, stirring constantly, for approximately 1 minute or until they swell.
- Pull off the stove and allow to cool.
- Add salt, pepper, a dash of vinegar and basil
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, vary in color
- Wash each tomato
- Cut into ¼ inch slices
- Cut each slice cross-wise in half
- ½ head broccoli
- Enough oil to coat the skillet
- Chop stalk off broccoli. Cut each floret into quarters.
- Heat and oil skillet.
- Sautee broccoli until the edges become crispy, slightly browned.
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Remove parsley stems.
- In a food processor puree parsley and oil.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Add a pinch of salt.
**Alternative version: a high quality first press olive oil can be used in place of the parsley oil.
- 1 ½ lb. calamari, tubes and tentacles, cleaned fresh
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- The juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- Marinate calamari in crushed garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and parsley, for approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill marinated calamari over charcoal grill, at very high heat, for approximately 1 ½ - 2 minutes.
- Watch carefully as it can quickly over cook and become inedible.
- Remove from heat and slice tubes horizontally so you have small rings.
**Alternative version: cook in very hot, lightly oiled skillet for the same amount of time.
- Tbs chopped basil
- Parsley oil
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl gently combine tomatoes, broccoli, calamari and basil with enough parsley oil to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate into four even portions, and drizzle aged balsamic vinegar over each. Garnish with a scoop of basil seeds.
for more features.