Watch CBS News

Staten Island Boy Dies After Suffering Allergic Reaction On Halloween

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A Staten Island family is mourning the death of a 7-year-old who died days after suffering an allergic reaction on Halloween.

The Staten Island Advance reports Joseph DeNicola died after suffering an apparent fatal allergic reaction. The boy's father, Anthony DeNicola, said according to doctors, Joseph went into anaphylactic shock, leading to cardiac arrest.

The boy reportedly suffered from both allergies and asthma.

Joseph's father told the newspaper his son had a milk allergy, and had had a flare-up of asthma and allergies in the days before Halloween, and he had received an asthma treatment Friday morning.

His father said Joseph went trick-or-treating and to a Halloween party, but did not eat anything that would have triggered an attack. There was no immediate indication of what specifically did trigger the attack.

Joseph's father said his son never regained consciousness due to the lack of oxygen and was declared brain dead, the publication reported.

Joseph died at 8:15 a.m. Tuesday, a Staten Island University Hospital representative told the Staten Island Advance.

You Might Also Be Interested In:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.