Report: Carmelo Anthony Intends To Re-Sign With Knicks
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- It looks like Carmelo Anthony isn't going anywhere.
The seven-time All-Star and former NBA scoring champion is prepared to return to the Knicks, barring a last-second change of heart, the Daily News reported Wednesday afternoon.
The Knicks offered Anthony a five-year, $129 million max contract last week. Anthony is expected to announce his intentions on Thursday, the newspaper reported.
"He is really torn because this is the biggest decision of his career. But he wants to get it done in New York. He told me he believes in Phil (Jackson)," a source told the Daily News.
However, the forward's agent told the Daily News that "no decision" had been made.
The Knicks had not been told of Anthony's plans, reported CBSSports.com, but were confident that he was never leaving, despite flirtations with several teams, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks.
Once Anthony is under contract the Knicks are expected to try to sign center Pau Gasol and pair the two of them with veteran point guard Jose Calderon, who was acquired late last month in the trade that sent Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas.
The Knicks are also reportedly trying to move the contracts of Amar'e Stoudemire and Andrea Bargnani.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
for more features.