Watch CBS News

Fire Marshal: Nine Poisoned By Carbon Monoxide At Roosevelt Field Mall

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) - Emergency responders in Nassau County were on the scene of a carbon monoxide poisoning at Roosevelt Field Mall Thursday morning.

Ambulances, fire trucks and Nassau County hazmat teams rushed to the mall before it even opened for business, WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall reported.

Fire Marshal: Nine Poisoned By Carbon Monoxide At Roosevelt Field

The incident took place at Abercrombie & Fitch, which is being renovated. Nine people suffered the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including dizziness, nausea and headaches.


Vincent McManus from the Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office told Hall that workers were using a propane-powered piece of equipment to remove the floor at the store.

"Since it's propane-fired, it does emit carbon monoxide, which normally wouldn't be a problem in a more open area or an area with proper ventilation. But since it was being used in a confined space within a store, the vapors built up," he said.

"Mall security called the fire department and emergency services to assist," he told 1010 WINS. "[The workers] were removed out to fresh air, there was a medical command post that was established determined that seven of the nine affected had to go to the hospital for evaluation. The other two were treated on the scene and then refused further attention."

The mall usually opens at 7 a.m. for mall walkers and it appeared that some people were being allowed into other parts of the mall even as the emergency response continued, Hall reported.

The mall is now open for business as usual.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.