Watch CBS News

Police: Man Stabbing People On Casino Bus Fatally Shot By Trooper On I-95 In Norwalk

NORWALK, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) -- A man who stabbed passengers on a casino-bound tour bus on Interstate 95 in Connecticut was fatally shot by state police, officials said Wednesday.

The mayhem on the Dahlia bus carrying about 24 passengers from Chinatown in New York City to the Mohegan Sun casino in southeastern Connecticut began around 10 p.m. Tuesday, state police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said.

The bus driver pulled over in a highway construction zone in Norwalk and flagged down a state trooper on duty at the site.

"It was an aggressive situation where people were being physically harmed on that bus and the driver needed to get the attention of that trooper," Vance said.

Several people on the bus called 911 and the trooper was aware of the situation before confronting the man, Vance said.

As the trooper approached the bus, the suspect and a passenger "were engaged in physical combat, rolled off the bus and onto the pavement of the highway,'' Vance said. The man, who has not been identified yet, also intentionally injured himself, Vance said.

The trooper was forced to open fire when the suspect came at him with a "cutting instrument'' and refused to drop the weapon, Vance said.

Police: Man Stabbing People On Casino Bus Fatally Shot By Trooper

"Once the suspect realized the trooper was close by, the suspect began to advance towards the trooper with that cutting instrument," Vance said. "The trooper was forced to draw his service weapon, fired on the suspect, striking the suspect."

The man died at a hospital. Two people were stabbed and another person suffered non-life threatening injuries when a bullet from the officer's gun ricocheted off the pavement. There was no immediate word on the condition of the two people stabbed.

Police: Man Stabbing People On Casino Bus Fatally Shot By Trooper

The three injured passengers were brought to Norwalk Hospital. Their conditions haven't been released. A hospital spokeswoman referred questions to state police.

The trooper wasn't injured.

"The bus driver did an extraordinary job locating help and getting help to stop the aggression," Vance said.

The northbound lanes of the interstate were closed more than seven hours from late Tuesday night until early Wednesday morning.

Check Out These Other Stories From

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.