NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- Flames erupted in several manholes late Monday afternoon along Broadway in SoHo.
Around 3 p.m., firefighters responded to a second-alarm along a stretch of Broadway between Spring and Broome streets, after the manholes caught fire.
The fire started in an underground electrical transformer, Con Edision said.
The buildings at 500 and 524 Broadway were evacuated due to a subsequent buildup of carbon monoxide, the FDNY said. In total, about 100 people were evacuated.
The fire was under control by 5 p.m., the FDNY said. Some power outages were reported in the immediate area.
No injuries or hospitalizations were reported.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
for more features.