Watch CBS News

Gunman Faces Attempted Murder Charges After 2 NYPD Officers Shot In 12 Hours

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- The man accused of walking into a precinct house in the Bronx and opening and shooting two officers in a van appeared before a judge for the first time Monday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, the officer who was shot inside the precinct was released from the hospital.

WATCH: NYPD Lt. Released From Hospital After Bronx Precinct Shooting 

Lt. Jose Gautreaux walked out of Lincoln Hospital just after noon Monday.

Slumped over in sweats, his ear bandaged and face beaten up from his Sunday morning arrest, alleged gunman Robert Williams appeared before a Bronx judge.

A blue sea of solidarity filled the courtroom to capacity to see the man accused of trying to kill two of their own.

WATCH: PBA President Pat Lynch Speaks Out After Precinct Shooting Suspect's Arraignment 

"We have to follow this case to make sure we get justice. To make sure this mutt stays behind bars for the rest of his life. Why? Because he's a cop killer," said Police Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch.

Williams, 45, is accused of ambushing police twice in 12 hours over the weekend. Monday in court, prosecutors said Williams confessed to both shootings, telling investigators he was "tired of police."

Prosecutors said while in custody at the hospital he also told police officers at his bedside "I'm gonna shoot one of you when I get out."

WIlliams has a violent past with more than a dozen prior arrests. He served 15 years in prison for attempted murder before allegedly targeting the NYPD in the Bronx.


On Saturday night, video shows the gunman opening fire on a police van in Hunts Point. Police officer Paul Stroffolino was hit in the chin and neck. After the shooting, prosecutors say Williams walked to a restaurant and ordered dinner. The next morning, the state says Williams had breakfast then casually walked into the 41st precinct station house and opened fire, a bullet hitting Lt. Jose Gautreaux in the arm.

About a dozen police officers rushed to subdue Williams after his gun jammed and he dropped to the floor.

Gautreaux was released from Lincoln Hospital Monday, nearly jumping out of his wheelchair as New York's Finest cheered him on.

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea applauded his bravery and resilience.

"Unbelievable. Unbelievable. And if you see, I opened the door, and before you asked me, I told him 'Hurry up. Get back to work. No more lingering in this NYPD.' So really lucky, I want to thank everyone for the support today," Shea said.

Wiliams faces dozens of charges including 13 counts of attempted murder of a police officer. He's being held without bail and is due back in court Feb. 14.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.