Watch CBS News

Newark Airport Checkpoint Shut Down Over Unscreened Liquid

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) -- A security checkpoint was briefly shut down at Newark Liberty International Airport Sunday, after officials discovered that a bottle of liquid had passed through without being screened properly.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Spokesman Ron Marsico told The Record the incident occurred shortly before 7:30 a.m. Sunday at checkpoint 1 in Terminal C.

Transportation Security Administration officials said the bottle's owner was quickly found and the bottle was rescreened ``with negative results.'' The passenger was then cleared to fly, and the checkpoint reopened around 7:45 a.m.

Authorities did not identify what type of liquid was in the bottle but told the newspaper that it was a substance that is, in fact, allowed on planes. But it was larger than the 3.4 ounce limit that the TSA has set for passengers.

The TSA has maintained restrictions on liquids for airplane passengers since 2006, when authorities foiled a plot to blow up at least 10 aircraft traveling between the United Kingdom and North America using liquid explosives.

Liquids were banned from flights altogether immediately following the discovery of the plot. About a month later, the TSA began allowing small amounts of liquids, gels and aerosols – provided that they are placed in 3.4-ounce containers in one zip-top bag – with an allowance of one bag per customer. The restriction is known as the 3-1-1 rule.

Please leave your comments below...

(TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.