Watch CBS News

Funeral Plans For Slain NYPD Officer Miosotis Familia Announced

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- The NYPD has announced funeral arrangements for Officer Miosotis Familia, who was shot and killed Wednesday in what police have called "an unprovoked attack" in the Bronx.

A wake will be held Monday at World Changers Church on the Grand Concourse. Viewing will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The funeral service will be held Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the same church.

"Please join us along with the @NYPD46Pct as we gather to celebrate the life of Miosotis Familia and come together as a community," the NYPD 20th Precinct posted on Twitter. 

The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation announced that it was donating $100,000 to Familia's family and asked for additional donations to help support them. To make a donation, click here

"'Who's going to take care of us?' is exactly what the kids were saying," NYPD Chief of Patrol Terence Monahan told WCBS 880's Peter Haskell.

"The funds raised will go to any immediate housing needs that they may have," Tunnel to Towers founder Frank Siller said.

Maritza Ramos knows all-too-well what that means. The foundation helped her family when her husband, Detective Rafael Ramos, was assassinated.

"That was one less thing we had to worry about, and we could actually grieve," she said.

Back at the officer's home, a memorial continues to grow. Police Commissioner James O'Neill visited Familia's three children Thursday.

"Thank God they have a big family," he said. "There's a lot of support there."

Familia was killed while sitting in a NYPD mobile command vehicle early Wednesday on East 183rd Street in the Bronx.

The moments leading up to the deadly ambush were captured on surveillance video as the suspect, 34-year-old Alexander John Bonds, is seen shooting into the vehicle around 12:30 a.m.

The video then shows him running away with officers right behind. They then caught up to Bonds, shooting and killing him when he pulled a stolen revolver, police said.

But cops now say they had already been searching for Bonds that evening.

"A 911 call came in about an emotionally disturbed person, around 10 o'clock, walking along Westchester Avenue," Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said. "The girlfriend of Alexander Bonds called it in and said he was acting erratically and that he was paranoid by police."

Bonds' girlfriend told investigators he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and was convinced police were following him for weeks before the shooting.

"Girlfriend of Mr. Bonds also took him to St. Barnabas Hospital on July 1 for psychiatric treatment, where he was released later that day," Boyce said.

Police have since searched Bonds' home and found bottles of antidepressant and antipsychotic medication, but are still investigating whether he had actually been taking them, CBS2's Ali Bauman reported. 

Meanwhile, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered an investigation into St. Barnabas Hospital.

"Under tragic circumstances such as these, it is critical to ensure all proper procedures and safeguards were taken," Cuomo said in a statement. "At my direction, the state Department of Health and Office of Mental Health are launching an immediate review of St. Barnabas Hospital's actions and policies in admitting, treating and discharging this individual. This review will determine if all relevant state laws, regulations and guidelines were followed."

A spokesperson for the hospital told CBS2 all the proper procedures were followed, saying Bonds was seen by a doctor and psychiatrist, then released after about seven hours in the emergency room.

"We believe all mental health procedures were properly followed in the hospital's evaluation of Mr. Bonds during the 7 to 8-hour period he was observed in our emergency room on July 1," the hospital said in a statement. "We welcome any investigation and will fully cooperate."

The mother of Bond's teenage daughter, who said she spoke with him the day before the shooting, said she's furious doctors did not take his concerns more seriously.

"He told them that he felt like killing something, and what do they do? They sedate him and then they send him out. That's it," the woman named Kya told CBS2's Erin Logan in an exclusive phone interview from her home in Virginia. "He told me that he went to the hospital and he told these people this."

Kya said Bonds was actually in a good mood at one point during their phone call, telling her how excited he was for their daughter to stay with him over the summer. Then he admitted he was struggling and went to the hospital.

"And now why is she not with him? Because he went to the doctor, and the doctors did nothing," Kya said.

Kya said now there are children from two families suffering the consequences.

"It's not fair to them other kids, either, to have to wake up without their mother. What happened is horrible. But this happens all the time, and nobody cares," she said, referring to mentally ill people not getting treatment and then acting in erratically and violently.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.