NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- At least nine people were injured after a carbon monoxide leak at a construction site in Manhattan Tuesday evening.
FDNY members rushed to the site at 30 E. 29th St. in Kips Bay around 4:45 p.m. after reports of a leak.
Several workers were rescued from a confined space at the construction site, according to authorities.
"We connected some ropes and some hardware to that, and were able to put the patients in a basket and haul them up," FDNY Chief of Special Operations John Esposito said.
Officials say the leak came from a gas powered generator in a basement on site where they were preparing to pour concrete.
"You're not supposed to be using generators," Esposito said. "They're supposed to be outside in a well-ventilated area."
The city's Department of Buildings says there were two of those generators in the basement, and they've since issued a full stop-work order. They've also slapped the site's contractor and management team with several violations for failing to keep things safe.
The DOB issued a permit for the residential building construction in September, and last inspected it a few weeks ago but found no problems.
Five of the workers sustained minor injuries, while four of them were considered to be in serious condition according to the FDNY.
for more features.