Watch CBS News

'It Lit Up Into Flames:' New Jersey College Student Claims iPhone Spontaneously Caught Fire

GLASSBORO, N.J. (CBSNewYork) -- Apple is investigating after a New Jersey college student said his iPhone caught on fire in class.

Darin Hlavaty claims his iPhone 6 Plus spontaneously burst into flames while he sat in class at Rowan University, causing his classroom to be evacuated.

"I flinched upwards because it was burning my leg, as I flinched up I noticed it was smoking and I threw the phone on the ground and it lit up into flames," he told CBS2. "I kicked it down and made the fire go out."

Hlavaty now has a huge hole in his jeans pocket where his phone used to be.

There have been complaints made about iPhones bursting into flames while charging, but Hlavaty says his phone, which he had for about six months, wasn't even turned on at the time.

Last month, Samsung suspended sales of their Galaxy Note 7 after reports that battery issues were causing the phones to catch fire.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.