Watch CBS News

Great-Grandmother Of Girl Attacked In Elevator Speaks On Her Recovery

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- The family of the 7-year-old girl critically injured in a stabbing revealed on Saturday the one thing that has helped her heal.

As CBS 2's Steve Langford reported, Mikayla Capers' great-grandmother faced cameras, holding back tears.

Nearly two weeks ago, Daniel St. Hubert allegedly stabbed Capers and her best friend, 6-year-old Prince Joshua "P.J." Avitto inside an elevator at the Boulevard Houses in East New York. P.J. died of his injuries.

Capers, who was in critical condition following the attack, has been released from the hospital. Her recovery, however, is far from over, Langford reported.

"Could you imagine at 7 years old? There are no words, no words," Capers great-grandmother, Regenia Trevathan said.

Trevathan relayed a message from the young girl on Saturday.

"This is what she wakes up 4 o'clock in the morning. This is what she do and you can hear it (doll sings: smile when your heart is aching)," she said.

Capers is slowly healing from multiple stab wounds, allegedly suffered at the hands of St. Hubert.

Trevathan said the little girl is in a fragile state, often seeking comfort in the singing doll that soothes her -- especially in the middle of the night, CBS 2's Jessica Schneider reported.

Trevathan's aching heart turns colder when considering Capers' physical condition, Langford reported.

"Have you ever been stabbed 16 times?" she asked.

Family told Langford now that she's home, she keeps asking to go outside and ride her bike.

Friends said it's unclear whether Capers knows her friend P.J. died of his wounds.

"I appreciate everything you all do for me, all right. God bless," said Nicholas Avitto, P.J.'s father.

P.J.'s parents attended a rally in Harlem, calling for an end to the violence, sharing their pain and poise.

"He was taken away from us 16 days before his seventh birthday, which we will still celebrate the life of our baby on June 17, 2014," said P.J.'s mother, Aricka McClinton.

Trevathan said her family is planning to relocate in the aftermath of the attack.

St. Hubert has been indicted on one count of second-degree murder, one count of second-degree attempted murder, one count of first-degree assault and one count each of third- and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

He faces up to 50 years to life in prison if convicted.

Check Out These Other Stories From


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.