NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- Multiple ambulances responded to an elementary school on Long Island after a boiler emitted smoke, nauseating some children.
The incident took place just before 2 p.m. Thursday at Camp Avenue Elementary School in North Merrick.
"I want to assure all of our parents our children are safe, the school is safe," Superintendent David Feller said. "We seem to have gotten some kind of backfire from a boiler."
Smoke From Boiler Prompts Evacuation, Emergency Response At LI Elementary School
Some students in a general purpose room nearby reported feeling nauseated, Feller said. That prompted a brief evacuation.
"There didn't seem to be a terrible odor in the building, but we did call 911 as a precaution," he added. "The emergency responders got here immediately, we're very appreciative of their help."
"We had no carbon monoxide in the building at any time, when we got here the levels were zero throughout the whole building so we deemed the building to be safe, but as a precaution we still wanted the children to be checked," said North Merrick Fire Department Asst. Chief James Rogers.
12 students were taken to an area hospital, Feller said. Their parents have been notified.
The fire department initially told CBS 2 that elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected at the scene.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
for more features.