ALBANY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) -- New York's top court has found the World Trade Center managers immune from negligence claims for failing to deter the 1993 parking garage bombing that killed six people and injured about 1,000.
In a ruling Thursday, the Court of Appeals was divided 4-3 in reversing lower courts.
The majority conclude that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs area airports and owns the trade center site, is entitled to government immunity for its security measures at the building.
A jury found the agency failed as a mainly commercial landlord to maintain reasonably safe premises and was 68 percent at fault, blaming terrorists for the other 32 percent.
A midlevel court upheld that ruling.
About 200 claims in the case were filed. Most have been privately settled.
What do you think of this decision? Sound off in our comments section below…
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
for more features.