Watch CBS News

Construction Worker Nearly Electrocuted In Bridgewater, N.J.

BRIDGEWATER, N.J. (CBSNewYork) -- A construction worker renovating a home hit by superstorm Sandy was nearly electrocuted Tuesday, police said.

The 34-year-old man from Brick, N.J. was outside trying to determine why the house had lost power when he touched a live grounding wire, CBS 2's Christine Sloan reported. The wire was supposed to be buried, police said.

A neighbor who works as an emergency medical technician told Sloan that he ran outside and found that the victim had no pulse and was not breathing. The EMT said he performed CPR and revived the man.

The construction worker was rushed to the hospital. His condition is unknown.

A spokesperson for Jersey Central Power & Light said it did not know why the wire was sticking out of the ground, and it was investigating the incident. The utility stressed that safety is its top priority, and crews were repairing the wire Tuesday evening.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.