Watch CBS News

Carbon Monoxide Scare Forces Evacuation Of Bronx Apartment Building

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- Dozens of residents were forced out into below-freezing temperatures after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected at a Bronx apartment building Monday.

WCBS 880's Paul Murnane On The Story


At least 12 people have been taken to Jacobi Hospital as a precaution after complaining about feeling nauseous.

EMS said between 75 and 100 residents had been evacuated from the five-story building on Valentine Avenue in the Fordham section of the borough around 5 a.m.

"I came outside...I see all my neighbors, I'm like 'Yo, what's going on?' They say carbon monoxide, everybody has to evacuate from the building," Omar Korporad said. "I didn't have no alarms, my friend told me he was feeling dizzy."

Temperatures were well below freezing during the time of the evacuation and many residents sought refuge in city buses that were brought in to keep them warm.

WCBS 880's Paul Murnane reports the heater in a ground floor bodega may be to blame for the fumes.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.