Watch CBS News

NYPD Suspends 2 Police Officers Who Responded To Crown Heights Home Where Woman Was Found Dead At Bottom Of Staircase

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) -- Two NYPD officers have been suspended in connection with the response to a 911 call to a Brooklyn home where the body of a woman was later discovered at the bottom of a staircase.

The woman's husband, Barry Wells, faces charges in her death. The two had been married for 9 months, and had a toddler daughter.

Tonie Wells, 22, was found dead Wednesday morning in her home on Sterling Place in Crown Heights. Neighbors reportedly heard the woman's young daughter crying and called police for a wellness check.

"Once you hear somebody's child crying, you would go check. We're neighbors. We live in the same house," the neighbor said.

Wells' body was discovered at the bottom of the stairs into the basement.

"An initial determination deemed this person's death to be suspicious and it is currently being investigated," Deputy Chief Michael Kempfer said. "The deceased female has bruising on her neck and it appears she was either pushed or fell down the flight of stairs leading to the basement."

The NYPD said the incident was under review. The suspended officers reported no sign of distress when they checked on the woman after the initial call at 8:40 a.m.

As 1010 WINS' Juliet Papa reported, the caller said a man and woman were arguing and heard a woman yelling, 'help me, he's going to kill me.'

The cops who responded wrote a report saying the call was unfounded.

Different officers found the body after another call was placed around 10 a.m.

It seems the initial responding officers dropped the ball.

"It is up to us to investigate that and if discipline needs to be dealt out we'll do that," NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said.

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams said based on what he heard the case should have been taken more seriously.

"Preliminary reports I received that they did not exit the vehicle and that's troubling," he said.

Officials said Wells had a history of abusing his wife.

"They recently had these problems. Two of them in Manhattan," Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said.

The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death.

Wells was expected to be charged following a mental exam at the hospital.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.