Watch CBS News

2 Men Sentenced To Prison In Death Of FDNY Battalion Chief Michael Fahy

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Two men who pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the 2016 death of FDNY Battalion Chief Michael Fahy received their prison sentence Friday morning.

Garivaldi Castillo and Julio Salcedo were accused of tampering with gas lines at a marijuana grow house in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx, triggering an explosion.

Both men pleaded guilty to second degree manslaughter on July 13. Castillo was sentenced to six years in prison for his part in the explosion. Salcedo will serve up to four years in jail.

"I hope the prison sentences will send a message to those who would be callous about the safety of residents and first responders," Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark said in a statement Friday.

More: 'He Was A Hero': Thousands Mourn FDNY Battalion Chief Michael Fahy At Funeral

Fahy was killed when he was hit with flying debris. Firefighters were called to the house after reports of a possible gas leak. Fahy was on the scene for about an hour before the two-story home ignited.

"The city lost a hero on Sept. 27 and in exchange, we saved you," said FDNY Lt. Richard Ruebenacker, giving the only victim impact statement in court. "New York City was certainly on the losing end of that deal.

"Your actions helped rip from this city one of the most genuine, most humble, most caring, most considerate public servants who has served in the role," he said.

Both defendants expressed remorse in court.

"I humbly write to you to express my deepest apologies and condolences as your families face these difficult times," read attorney Dawn Florio on behalf of her client Salcedo. "Chief Fahy is my hero. He saved my life."

Castillo briefly spoke through a translator.

"I want to say sorry for everything," he said.

"This is an extremely rare instance where someone is being held criminally responsible for conditions that caused the death of a firefighter in the line of duty in New York City," Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark said in a statement issued July 13.

The 44-year-old Fahy left behind a wife, two sons, and one daughter. He had been with the FDNY for 17 years.

In 2016, FDNY Chief Daniel Nigro described Fahy's death as a "tragedy for his family and a tragedy for our family in the fire department to lose such a great man."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.