Watch CBS News

1 Dead, 2 In Critical Condition After Taxi Hits Pedestrians In The Bronx

UPDATED 03/21/15 12:40 a.m.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – One person was killed Friday evening, and three others were injured after a taxi crashed through a bus stop filled with people in the Bronx.

Authorities said the accident occurred around 6:30 p.m. Friday on the Grand Concourse service road between 170th and 171st streets in the Mount Eden section of the borough.

Hours later, the accident investigation stretched for more than a block along the bustling Grand Concourse, CBS2's Matt Kozar reported. The focal point was the cab that jumped the curb and hit several people.

As 1010 WINS' Carol D'Auria reported, the snow was coming down hard on the Grand Concourse when the green New York City taxi apparently sideswiped a Subaru about 100 feet south of 170th Street.

The taxi driver kept going, crossed 170th Street, drove yet another 100 feet or so, and then jumped the curb and hit people waiting at a bus stop, D'Auria reported.

The taxi kept going several more feet and hit a building, D'Auria reported.

1 Dead, 2 In Critical Condition After Taxi Hits Pedestrians In The Bronxd

Ronald Luis was standing across the street. He said he heard cries for help.

"I heard a lot of people screaming, so that's what really caught my attention," he said, "and when I looked back, that's when I saw the car drive onto the sidewalk."

Cellphone pictures showed EMTs rushing to the victims. But they could not save the life of one man.

Witness Raymond Fermin said he saw firefighters giving CPR to a young girl.

"On this side they were pressing on her chest -- the little girl. I'm guessing also she couldn't breathe. I wasn't sure," Fermin said. "The guy that was laying here on the floor -- they weren't giving him any treatment. I guess he was already gone."

The 5-year-old girl and a 65-year-old man were reportedly in critical condition and were taken to area hospitals. Another adult suffered minor injuries, authorities told CBS2.

There was no word late Friday on the driver's condition.

"It was frantic; very scary," Luis said. "I've never seen anything like it."

It remained unclear late Friday how the accident happened, and whether the snowy, wet roads were to blame or if it was some other factor. Police would only say they were still investigating.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.