Live

Watch CBSN Live

NRA pro-Trump ad hits Hillary Clinton over Benghazi

The National Rifle Association is putting the full force of its advertising power behind Donald Trump, premiering a new $2 million ad campaign that slams Hillary Clinton hard over the terror attack in Benghazi, Libya.

The 30-second ad, first reported by USA Today, is funded by the NRA's Political Victory Fund. It features Marine Corps veteran Mark Geist, who lived through the 2012 Benghazi attack that took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

"A lot of people say they're not going to vote this November because their candidate didn't win," says Geist, a co-author of the book "13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi," which was eventually turned into a movie.

"Well, I know some people who won't be voting this year either," he says, making the comments as he walks somberly through a cemetery.

"Hillary as President? No thanks," Geist adds. "I served in Benghazi. My friends didn't make it. They did their part. Do yours."

The spot urges viewers, "Stop. Hillary. Now."

Watch it in full here:


USA Today reported that the ad will be broadcast on national cable and on broadcast channels in Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. The NRA is putting $2 million into airing the ad -- it's the gun group's first TV ad for this year's presidential election. The NRA endorsed Trump last month.

The spot comes just as Republicans on the House Select Committee investigating Benghazi released a harsh 800-page report Tuesday criticizing the Obama administration for the deadly attacks.

For Clinton's part, the Democratic presidential candidate said of the report that "it's pretty clear it's time to move on."

"While this unfortunately took on a partisan tinge, I want us to stay focused on what I've always wanted us to stay focused on, and that is the important work of diplomacy and development," she said at a campaign event in Denver Tuesday.

View CBS News In