Watch CBS News

Minneapolis murder suspect Kevin Mason accidentally released from Indianapolis jail, $10K reward offered

Minneapolis murder suspect Kevin Mason accidentally released from Indianapolis jail
Minneapolis murder suspect Kevin Mason accidentally released from Indianapolis jail 01:52

INDIANAPOLIS — After more than two years on the run, 28-year-old Kevin Lamarr Mason was caught near Indianapolis last week.

Mason was charged with second-degree murder in connection to the fatal shooting of Dontevius Catchings in the Shiloh Temple parking lot in June of 2021. The gunfire broke out during a visitation for a man who died in a shootout in front of a downtown Minneapolis nightclub. Mason was charged by warrant in Hennepin County roughly two months later.

"He was arrested for three different warrants for three different jurisdictions out of Minnesota," said Col. James Martin, with the Marion County Sheriff's Office in Indianapolis. "One being for homicide, one being for a parole violation, and the other being for a firearms possession."

But Mason's time behind bars was short-lived.

"One of our inmate records clerks thought she was correcting duplicate bookings for Mr. Mason. She removed two of the holds, leaving one additional hold for Mr. Mason," Col. Martin said.

He was released two days after his arrest, a mistake made by jailhouse employees.

"This was an error. This should have not happened. Mason should not have been released from our custody," Col. Martin said.

Mason walked out of the jail on Sept. 13. On Wednesday, Marion County Sheriff Kerry Forestal said Mason's girlfriend picked up up near the jail. She then got a new cell phone, and went to a Walmart to buy men's underwear, a travel kit, and some slippers.

Forestal said deputies arrested the girlfriend on Wednesday morning but she did not cooperate with the investigation. He added that deputies had some homes under surveillance. 

A massive manhunt has been underway ever since. But the Marion County Sheriff's Office is just going public Tuesday, putting out a wanted poster, and a promise.

"We will not rest until he's captured. We will not leave any stone unturned," Col. Martin said.

In an update Friday, officials said Mason left Indianapolis the same day he was accidentally released. 

Officials also on Friday said the investigation is now being overseen by the United States Marshals Services. 

Two of the records clerks involved in this case have been fired. Forestal said his employees are underpaid and overworked. The sheriff's office says Mason has ties to the Indianapolis area, and think he has been hiding out there since the 2021 murder in Minneapolis.

Mason is described as standing 5 feet, 9 inches tall, and weighs 205 pounds. He has a cross tattoo under his left eye and "SUB" tattooed on his chest.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS. There is a $10,000 reward for information leading to his capture.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.